Looking to start: Propagation

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
Background: I have a good job that pays well, and enjoy it...but not as much as I would enjoy by spending my time growing/propagating/selling corals. I have the investment money to make this happen and the room to do so. Weird to ask such a question, understood, does anyone have any advice on short/long term plans to start and sustain successfully within this business? My wife (biologist/zoologist) wants me to find my passion to work towards and this is it! What I do "for a means to an end" is more than paying the bills but does not make me happy each day. Don't post much because I've spent my time researching for years and years on this forum amongst others. Took me 10 years of research before I had the B**** to start my own tank. My goal would be to keep doing what I'm doing and slowly transition into being trusted distributor for fantastic/well grown/trusted corals in a few years. Any advice is appreciated...bad and good!
Thanks, Ryan.

I like it! I'd go for SPS since they grow fast and are easy to frag. You can go with the mid-tier stuff like cornbred, cherry, etc. and do well or go with the really high end stuff. There are plenty of people that get into this just for business and it makes sense.
Best wishes!

I've always thought it would be super cool to do this as well. If you ever get big and need some help with general finance and running a business, I'd be happy to help. I know much more about business than I do coral!

I can't offer any advice from experience, but here are my thoughts:

1) I know you said you have done a lot of research, but check out Fish of Hex on YouTube. Travis runs his coral business out of his basement and has been documenting every step of the way for years; everything from caring for his tanks to how he ships corals. Lots of good gems of advice there.
2) Consider creating videos as well. He picks up lots of business from people that watch his channel.
3) If you are coming to the expo, chat with some of the vendors and see if they are willing to share some advice
5) Once you get going, plan on setting up a table at every frag swap and show that you can. And consider becoming a sponsor of this club.
6) For a website, most are converting to WYSIWYG for pictures of the corals.
7) Keep us posted!

Good luck!

Great advice! I WILL be at the coral expo on the 18th. This hobby is just something I would love to take to the next level (plus it gives me something to do in the evenings). Would also love to get back to the pricing that entry level reefers can afford to get into for nice corals..instead of the price gouging trends that seem to mar our hobby. I'm sure the advice will come steadily in need as I take on this adventure! Thank you again for your responses

Ryan

Thinking about a 60 galon frag tank to start with..orphek lighting..still up for debate on filtration at this point. Any ideas/pointers anyone has are more than welcome

I would like to encourage your enthusiasm for growing/selling corals, with 1 caveat. This is some advice I got years ago and ignored just once, to my regret-

...'the best way to ruin your passion for an avocation (hobby) is, to turn it into a vocation (career)'

You might try it on a part time basis, then evaluate if you want to take the plunge.

Absolutely agreed! This is my spare time hobby whilst keeping my job! I am talking years down the road (if I'm lucky enough). Going to start off small and ease in...haha...that sounds funny.lol. Just have a passion for it and want to work/learn what I can as I go......lot of "I"s.
"If most people said" "i' half as much they would be twice as interesting! Just have no other way of conveying it. Its just a hobby....feel like were a dying breed, the oceans are dying, as are we. The most we can do as a group is to keep these beautiful organisms alive one "piece" at a time. I am a straight forward "rabble rousing" guy in my past but corals bring me peace...and would love to bring happiness and awareness (sustainability) to those getting in to the game. The prices these days on certain strains or types drive me mad. The great thing about ARC is the comradery....lets keep it rolling along!

Hey Billy, shoot me a PM. I have a pretty successful 60g frag tank that you can come by & check out, it might give you some ideas on how to set yours up.

Start slow and get your blue thumb before investing in lots of frags. I understand that both you and your wife probably have the brains to understand what it takes, but coral growing can be a weird kinda beast. Over the last 15 years I’ve had sps absolutely explode in tanks that I could never get exactly right by the numbers and then I’ve had them die off in a few days all of a sudden in tanks where every number was spot on. There are a lot of variables involved and you’ll eventually just be able to “feel” when things are right. Sounds crazy but hey...
also spike does it out of his basement I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back