Looking to switch to T5s from AI Primes

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
Hello guys. I currently have a NUVO Fusion 30l tank with the following dimensions: 36" x 11" x 13"
I run 2 LED light fixtures, AI Primes, and am noticing that I have a few shadows. Overall, growth is good, but as I find myself transitioning more into SPS, I'm really considering ordering a T5 fixture.

This is the fixture that I am debating on ordering this evening: https://www.marinedepot.com/36-inch-coralife-lunar-aqualight-t5-lamp-high-output-fixture

So what do you guys think? T5s or LEDs for this tank? Thoughts on this specific fixture?

I would like to know your thoughts :)

Can't wrong with T5's. They do put out a lot more heat than LED's though and you have the on going cost of changing bulbs.

Another option, you can try running the AI Prime's along with with a single bulb fixture and see if that's enough to fix the shadowing; maybe even two with Prime's in the middle. Sunblaster has a cheap 36" single bulb fixture (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AKKUD3Y/ref=twister_B0791TJVBZ). I was running one of their 24" single bulb fixtures on a 20 gallon along with my LED's for a while, but didn't feel like spending the money on another bulb when it was time to change it; just removed it a while back.

Aquatic Life has the T5 hybrid that works with AI Primes, but it is 7 inches wider than your tank.

One tip for you, buy some small labels to stick on the fixture and write the install date of each bulb. It will help with know when it is time to change them. Never change all at once either.

I like the idea. At this point really considering getting a fixture and running it alongside a cheap blue LED strip.

As far as quality goes, how much would you recommend spending on a 3 bulb fixture?

You've got some nice lights, I would hate to see you do away those. And I haven't seen a 3 bulb fixtures, usually 2, 4 or 6 bulbs.

Since you are wanting to transition into SPS, are there some soft or LPS corals that are causing the shadowing? If so, maybe you can get rid of those and replace with SPS frags. Until you get a pretty decent size colony, you really shouldn't have much shadowing with SPS.

I already have SPS. It's a mixed reef and I have lots of zoas, leathers, and other softies as well. I realize that it's hard to keep everything happy, but I would love to have more SPS. Not necessarily SPS dominated, but I would like to get more and also see more growth out of the few that I already have.

I really want more growth and AI primes while being awesome lights, don't really pull enough power for what I'm trying to accomplish. I think I've decided to go with a mixture of T5s and either incorporate my AI's or just use some LED strips.

I figure I can run two blue+, and 2 UVs, and then an LED strip or possibly my primes to supplement the other colors. I don't mind the blue look at all. I actually prefer it. I think I have a nice little project ahead of me.

Following....same setup as you and just have issues with getting things dialed in. All kinds of different programs out there and everyone seems like they know the best one to use....I have a black box that Is much simpler to use at times.

Back