lost my rainsford last night

jenkins2212

Market
Reaction score
He was eating good and moving around the left half of the tank and then last night i noticed he was sitting on the bottom and looked really skinny. This morning he was dead. So now ive lost 2 pepps, 3 hermits, and a rainsford. My ammonia was at 0.2 so i went and did a water change and bought some prime to bring it down.... Hopefully. Besides that everythings good. My other fish and coral are doing great. Can anyone help me out?

Travis

These guys are pretty much just pod eaters. They tend to starve to death in smaller tanks without a bountiful pod population. The concave stomach you described would be symptomatic of starvation not ammonia poisoning...

Poor lil guy :(. My condolences.

Thats sucks, i was told that they would clean my sand bed and be fine. So they dont clean the sand bed.... are they cant survive just from that?

My tank is a 20 and its been set up for about four months.

I havent tested again yet. That kinda upsets me because i bought the fish from my lfs and they know me and i buy all my live stock and everything else and they told me a rainsford would be fine. Now these rainsford had been there for awhile so im thinking they werent selling them because they told me TWO would be great in my 20 gallon. I lost my others two weeks ago when i left over the weekend.
Ill go test my water realquick.

Thankas
Travis

Well that kind of upsets me....... They told me that it would be fine. I wanted a diamond goby at first but was told that wouldnt work and that the rainsford would do great at turning my sand. The whole thing started because i wanted something to sift my sand and keep it clean. THEY TOLD ME A RAINSFORD WOULD DO WONDERS. And i should really get two.
Anyways, i guess im back to trying to get a diamond goby.

A rainsford is a wonderful goby and it does sift sand just like a diamond goby. What are they both sifting for though? The exact same thing, pods and other microfauna.

The only benefit to a diamond though is that its easier to get it to accept prepared foods. I've heard of plenty of them though that starve in people's tanks when they won't take prepared foods.

Don't blame the LFS entirely. You gotta take your fair share or more for not doing any research on these things at all before buying them... I hate hearing about fish starving to death when its not necessary.

Back