Lots of baby snails

reeferkeifer

Market
Reaction score
Every morning when I look at the tank I will find a small amount, 5 or so, of baby snails on the glass. They are about the size of a grain of crushed corral substrate and white and they are only out in the morning. This morning I saw there were about 50 or so on the glass and wall of the overflow. :wow2: Is this a problem that I need to control? Do I grab them with a net to get them out? :huh:

I wouldn't do anything, chances are most will not make it to full size. If they do you can sell them. I also have many baby snails but have not noticed an over population problem. Most will be food for something. This is a good problem to have.

They are probably stomatella snails. They are good snails, the populations fluctuate a lot. A few one day a hundred the next

I don't think they are stomatella snails. I have seen those and these baby ones have the typical snail shell with a swirl where the stomatella's have sort of a dome on there back and not the swirly, snail shell.

I would just keep an eye on the population. To much of anything is bad in most cases, plus the aesthetics of hundreds of snails isn't always the best . Other than that they're just there to eat some algae.

Its a good thing, dont worry about them.

Hell if anything collect a few and give them to me for puffer snacks :)

I had colonistas run rampant in a past tank. Bought a medium sized melanurus. No more snails...he crunched em up one at a time for a few days.

Back