Loud Overflow

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so of course set ups don't come w/o some issue. My overflow is making a really loud gurgling noise and is basically pushing way too much air into the sump. No micro bubbles at all coming back up but going in it's like if you took a straw and blew into a cup of water.....but twice as loud!

Any ideas? The top of the durso is level with the top of the overflow.

just put a hose down the overflow pipe, leaving the tip of the pipe out to privide a way for the air to scape.... tadammmmm problem solved.

How is it plumbed, many bends, or straight down? Mine coming off my overflow box used to be crazy loud going into the sump, but I got rid of as much as I could so it's just a straight drop, a 90degree angle to over the filter bracket, then another 90degree drop, and it's much quieter. I also have the pipe ending about 1/4" above the top of the water, but there is hardly any salt creep on the sides.

Yeah, do you have a hole drilled in the top of the durso? Cut about an 8" piece of airline hose and stick it down in the tube through the hole in the top (drill one if you don't have one). Move the hose up or down til there is less noise.

Oh, I would lower the durso a bit as well so that the water level in the overflow is 2-3" below the water level in the tank.

yeah sorry, it is RR. The durso was bought by the guy who sold me the tank not self made. Ill try lowering it again. I tried that before, but not that low.

oh and as for the tubing it's got one bend in it (like a U) after going straight down to the sump. Its a vacuum hose (1")

Mine was loud as crap..Took me some sponges out of a filter and shoved them down the over flow where the water flows into the pipe..Silent..LITERALLY

christopherjay, be careful those sponges don't become nitrate factories. Do you clean them often?

My overflow box came with a sponge, but I never even put it on, already had my hofer gurgle buster made.

Meh, the fans on my light fixture are louder than my sump. My overflow box itself is silent, you'd be hard pressed to tell there's water running through at 700gph if you couldn't see it.

Back