Low ALk level

mattgee87

Market
Reaction score
So I just set up my new RSM 250 with all new saltwater. I let the tank cycle ( which took about 2 weeks since I used sand and LR from a running tank ). I checked all my parameters today to get a baseline and my ALK is 5.1:sick:. Everything has that sad look but nothing has RTNed, but I am stressing out hard:wow2:. What could have caused the ALK to drop with new saltwater? What would be the best plan of attack to bring it back up ?

What kind of salt are you using? What test kit? Also how old are the regents? You may want to check the numbers at your local LFS and see if they match the numbers your getting. If the numbers match yours just slowly dose until you hit your mark. Test every time the same day and over a couple days average out your usage and dose accordingly to keep up with the depletion. Just curious how your calcium level was.

Instant Ocean salt, Red Sea Test kit. i checked it against API test kit too and it seems to be accurate. I've brought up the ALK to 7.0 over the coarse of an hour ( baking soda solution ). I plan on bringing the rest up tomorrow to 8.5 then to 9.0 the next day. Everything looks semi OK to be honest. My sea star hasn't moved in two days though.

Your right on the money. Brs recommends increasing no more than 1.4 dKH per day. How is your calcium level doing?

Just another thought. If your using a bucket make sure you roll it around a few times to mix up the dry salt really well. Sometimes some of the chemicals settle at the bottom.

Well I mixed the salt in the tank before I added any rock or sand and made sure the water was crystal clear before adding anything

I saw you used established live rock. Is it covered in coralline? That could use up some alk over two weeks.

No, the rock was cured in a bin with no light so no coralline. I'm baffled at why it dropped so quick

Back