Low Calcium Levels

g9550

Reaction score
My calcium levels are really low about 280ish. Other water parameters are optimal and I have taken my water to be tested at my LFS to see if maybe my test was bad but they got the same results. I have been adding B-Ionic's 2 part calcium buffer to my tank twice daily for a week now and not seeing a rise yet. Previously I was using Kent's liquid reactor as well as their superbuffer-dkh. Is it normal for calcium levels to take this long to respond? Any help is greatly appreciated.

It could be normal if your levels were very low to begin with. What size is your tank, how much have you been dosing, and do you have many hard corals or clams?

Where was your dKH when you had your water tested?

You may get better results with a stronger calcium (usually a powder form). I was told that a lot of the liquids excel at maintaining a calcium level, but can make it difficult to raise it.

have you checked your magnesium??? I had a simalar problem and couldnt raise my calcium...

wbholwell;166771 said:
It could be normal if your levels were very low to begin with. What size is your tank, how much have you been dosing, and do you have many hard corals or clams?

Its a 54 corner. 15ml twice a day is what I have been dosing and I only have one medium sized hard coral and 2 small cleaner clams.

just add the calcium part using this calculator until you get it to where you want while continuing to add Both parts as you are normally doing to maintain.
a>

OK had the same problem a couple of years ago. For the most part a 2 part is to maintain your alk and calcium levels. You need to add magnesium (get a test kit so that you can measure it) and then boost your calcium with something like turbo calcium (this is what I use). Once you get you calcium up you can pretty much maintain it with the 2 part. Just go slowly when starting and test as you go.

Darren24;166982 wrote: OK had the same problem a couple of years ago. For the most part a 2 part is to maintain your alk and calcium levels. You need to add magnesium (get a test kit so that you can measure it) and then boost your calcium with something like turbo calcium (this is what I use). Once you get you calcium up you can pretty much maintain it with the 2 part. Just go slowly when starting and test as you go.

there is no reason to purchase anything else when you could just add the calcium part to raise calcium using the calculator that I provided.

The reason that I use turbo calcium is 2 fold. First it is cheaper than using my 2 part to raise the calcium. Secondly it takes a LOT less turbo calcium to raise the calcium than the calcium part of the 2 part. This advice was given to me a while back by chemist Randy Holmes Farley on Reef Central. Works like a charm.

Darren

Darren24;167095 wrote: The reason that I use turbo calcium is 2 fold. First it is cheaper than using my 2 part to raise the calcium. Secondly it takes a LOT less turbo calcium to raise the calcium than the calcium part of the 2 part. This advice was given to me a while back by chemist Randy Holmes Farley on Reef Central. Works like a charm.

Darren

I gotcha! However, IMHO it would depend upon how much is really needed.
But, either way, will work. Yes.

Back