Low dKH

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
My Alkalinity hovers around 6.9. What is a safe plan for raising it as fast as possible to around 9 (or whatever is considered best for a mixed reef)? Thank you in advance!

Do you have a current way you maintain alk? Kalk, 2 part, etc? Or only through water changes?

Do all your coral look happy now?

I would try to raise it slowly, maybe .5 or so a day

What does a fresh batch of salt water measure? It may be time to consider dosing 2 part or any of the alternatives for keeping alk and calcium steady

Do you have a current way you maintain alk? Kalk, 2 part, etc? Or only through water changes?

Do all your coral look happy now?

I would try to raise it slowly, maybe .5 or so a day
I have a trident/trident controlled dosing and automatic water changes. I have a few acros that look a little pissed but they are new so hard to tell. Everything else looks good.

Now i do 20% water changes every other week. I would check alk,calcium, and mag right after a water change then check again after a week. If I remember BRS had a calculator to tell you how much to dose. I would start at half of what they recommended and just test and adjust from there.I dose 2 part and have never had to dose magnesium. You are doing the auto water change so im not sure how it would work for you. If you are going to use 2 part dosing you could always start out dosing very little, test and adjust

I've decided to raise it by .5 per day. I have some new corals that are still acclimating and I don't want to stress them out any further.

What product did you decide to start dosing with? I do not own an apex so I do not know how their automatic dosing works but when you are first getting started I would suggest to setup the dosing manually until things get stable.

I would also not arbitrarily raise the alk any based on the Trident results unless you've verified that what it's showing with another reliable test kit.
When making any large changes to water chemistry you should double check tests with a different kit.

I would also not arbitrarily raise the alk any based on the Trident results unless you've verified that what it's showing with another reliable test kit.
When making any large changes to water chemistry you should double check tests with a different kit.
+1

I only test via Trident and though the numbers help me keep things consistent they were off when compared to the results of my ICP test. So now I just try to stay with a certain range and not so aimming for a specific number if that makes sense.

Back