Low Maintenance Tank

globug

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to the forum and to ATL. I'd like some advice on whether to set up a small AIO or go for a 125G. I have always wanted to upgrade to a 125, but I had a baby in August and resisted setting anything up because I knew I wouldn't have much time for maintenance. But...I just keep thinking about setting up a tank. I like the appeal of the more forgiving water volume of larger tank, but I also like the idea of being able to do smaller water changes in one bucket. :)

In terms of background/lifestyle factors, I took down my 29G that I'd had for 3 years when I moved. I actually enjoy keeping LPS and softies. Realistically, I'd have time to do water changes every two weeks. This is not our terminal house, so I probably have another move (in the ATL area) in my future in the next 3-4 years.

So, any thoughts on what's easiest? A small AIO, the 125, or just waiting until my child is older? Thanks for your thoughts!

A good recirculating biopellit reactor a gfo reactor and a big skimmer +refugium all cut my maintenance needs more than in half , I do a monthly water change and it's usually late, but I can say it's never had nutrients at a dangerous level.
I do this because I have a bad back and wanted to do less lifting and bending .
I dose Kalk 2 and add trace elements biweekly unless it's water change week and I need a little dose of magnesium every 10 days or so just to keep it at the top end of acceptable range .
Some people disagree with my reef keeping practices because I do everything minimal but I have a gorgeous display and great growth in all my corals.
Fwiw I used to do weekly water changes on a few small systems before the tank upgrade and adding the biopellet , both achieve the same end result.

You'll enjoy a little bigger tank. I had a 120 and enjoyed it, but took it down due to a move. My new tank is a shallow 80g, which is the same footprint as a 120 but is only 16" deep. I really like it, and it dictates that my water changes are smaller.

While I don't doubt the above poster has a great looking display I think it can be done a LOT simpler.

At the start you won't need a kalk reactor or a calcium reactor. You don't need these things until the growth of your corals is to the point that you have to supplement the water with ca. For the most part a bi weekly water change will suffice, unless you're starting out with big colonies.

I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you what I'm using on my 6ish mo old tank. 1: skimmer- 2: lights: 3- kalk reactor. 4- Auto top off. (The ATo is something that really does simplify stuff).

That's about it;)

When you get started grab some NO3 PO4 ALK and Ca test kits to keep an eye on things.

The hobby is as simple or complex as you want to make it. The trick is to find that area that your comfortable in, so that you can enjoy the hobby without it stressing you.

Best of luck to you;)
Let me know if I, in my limited experience and knowledge, can help in any way.
B

Ps. Don't forget to get an RODI unit for your water. It will save LOTS of trouble down the road.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

A bigger tank is going to be exponentially more expensive because you need bigger and better equipment to go along with your bigger and better tank. If I were you, and knew I was going to be moving in another 3-4 years, I'd probably stay on the smaller side. A bigger tank will also be more difficult to move. Maybe go with a 40 breeder? They are great tanks that have perfect reef dimensions without needing huge water changes.

Crew;1058515 wrote: A bigger tank is going to be exponentially more expensive because you need bigger and better equipment to go along with your bigger and better tank. If I were you, and knew I was going to be moving in another 3-4 years, I'd probably stay on the smaller side. A bigger tank will also be more difficult to move. Maybe go with a 40 breeder? They are great tanks that have perfect reef dimensions without needing huge water changes.

I didn't see the moving part...
I agree..

HOWEVER... nothing is wrong with setting up a smaller tank and buying what you'll eventually need for the bigger upgrade:) That way all you do is swap tanks and add another light:)

I'm all about bigger tanks, for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Tbub1221;1058451 wrote: A good recirculating biopellit reactor a gfo reactor and a big skimmer +refugium all cut my maintenance needs more than in half , I do a monthly water change and it's usually late, but I can say it's never had nutrients at a dangerous level.
I do this because I have a bad back and wanted to do less lifting and bending .
I dose Kalk 2 and add trace elements biweekly unless it's water change week and I need a little dose of magnesium every 10 days or so just to keep it at the top end of acceptable range .
Some people disagree with my reef keeping practices because I do everything minimal but I have a gorgeous display and great growth in all my corals.
Fwiw I used to do weekly water changes on a few small systems before the tank upgrade and adding the biopellet , both achieve the same end result.
pics please!

grouper therapy;1058617 wrote: pics please!

:shades: I'd luv to show it off , so long as the O.P. doesn't mind me hijacking his thread , I'll post a few images later when the tank is awake .

No, it's fine to hijack the thread.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm leaning toward a nano because of the move. My previous setup was 29 with a fuge, skimmer, and a BRS GFO/carbon reactor. I'm all for simple set ups.

globug;1059045 wrote: No, it's fine to hijack the thread.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm leaning toward a nano because of the move. My previous setup was 29 with a fuge, skimmer, and a BRS GFO/carbon reactor. I'm all for simple set ups.
Check it out here! More pictures lower in the thread

showthread.php

Back