Low ph calcium and alk question

kullas

Market
Reaction score
I did my bi weekly water change on wed and I tested my prams today. My calcium is at 380 my ph is between a 7.9 and 8.01 and my alk is a 3.5 meq/l
I am getting growth on my coral and I know they are using cal and alk and mag. I'm getting a test kit for mag this weekend.
My question is would this be a good time to start dosing kalkwasser?

My opinion is Ph 7.9+ isn’t bad and 3.5 meg/l is on the high side for alk. No need for kalk just yet. Just continue to monitor and keep it stable.
available? Those 3 prams what is a good number to hover around?

I shoot for:
CA - 450
Alk - 8.5 dKh (3.04 meq/l)
Mg - 1350-1400

I would also encourage you to use a 2 part for CA and Alk before going with kalk. My pH is always around 8.0 in my display tank. It fluctuates some but for some reason it's steady right around 8.0. Your consumption is probably not very big at this point and dosing kalk might raise the pH but then that number will go back down before you need to dose it again. I'd take a steady 8.0 pH over one that bounces around between 8.4 and 7.9.

In the end, the most important thing you stated was that you're getting good growth. Try to keep things stable but if the corals are happy, your doing it right.

So far the coral is happy and I can tell there is growth and the color looks good to me. During the water change I moved my Goniopora to a lower light area. Almost under a rock and it's even comming back out not alot but out. I'm guessing that has something to do with my 0 phosphate and very low nitrate levels.

Your calcium and PH seem okay but should be around 8.4 and 420. I get away with dosing the "calcification" and "8.4" solutions by Aquavitro and have had great growth on all my corals including Acroporas and Montis. The key to good growth is stability and keeping parameters stable. Also remember to dose magnesium and trace elements. Iodine can also be a good one for softies and helps for tissue repair to damaged corals. Hope this helps!

Back