Low PH

Smithhansen

Market
Reaction score
My ph is fairly low about 7.6-7.8. How do I raise it without putting a bunch of chemicals in my tank and without hurting my fish and coral?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The carbon dioxide you breath is the cause. First of all dont worry about it. It does not hurt anything. Take a look at Sanjay Jose's tank 7.6 ph show stopper tank. If you really want to mess with it to experiment run the air input of your skimmer to the outside of your house . Or you can drip kalkwasser.

Consider when you're measuring it as well. Ph does fluctuate based on the light cycle. Mine will get down to a little below 8.0 overnight and come back up to 8.1 or so during the day. Large swings are problematic but a little bit isn't too bad as long as it's steady.

I effectively raised my to an acceptable level by adding a better protein skimmer. the bubbles / gas exchanged helped

My ph is fairly low about 7.6-7.8. How do I raise it without putting a bunch of chemicals in my tank and without hurting my fish and coral?

Just curious, but how are you measuring the pH?

The api test

I've been out of the hobby for a bit, but as I recall, API test kits do not have a good reputation for accuracy.

Perhaps you could take it by your local fish store (LFS in hobby lingo ;) for a retest?

FWIW- your LFS is there to make a profit, so be sure to show them some love going forward (ie- $$$).

Take a water sample in a clean capped container.
The container should be preferably rinsed a couple of times with deionized (or distilled) water before filling with the tank water sample.

Just throwing this out there, but it would be safe to use some of the aquavitro, seachem, etc brands of pH buffers and raisers. I've kept tanks for over a decade and you should be just fine if you follow the instructions. They are more efficient than some other approaches. Here is what I use: https://www.aquavitro.com/eight-four.php. FYI- there is no financial conflict of interest [e.g. they don't pay me to say this : )] That being said, I run a refugium at night and that helps increase my pH. Good luck!

Back