low salinity after trip

qasimja

Market
Reaction score
I took the family to myrtle beach for a week came back and all my tanks seem ok but my ato seems to have pumped way too much water into my sump because its overfilled past the line its usually at maybe 3-4 gallons over and my salinity which is usually 1.026 is now 1.022 maybe 1.023 should i just let it evap for a few days to get things back to normal? everything seems to be ok though my rock flowers seem pissed off

You could do a small water change to get it back in line. Did you figure out why your ATO kept running when it shouldn't have? Stuck float valve maybe? At least it didn't overflow.

You could do a small water change to get it back in line. Did you figure out why your ATO kept running when it shouldn't have? Stuck float valve maybe? At least it didn't overflow.
i actually had enough water in my ato for 7 days so it was bone dry it couldn't dump anymore water lol and i havent even looked at the ato yet to see what happened

I would fix the ATO first so you don't come home to a flooded floor/burned out ATO pump motor. If the level is higher already in your sump you might want to watch carefully the next time you turn off your return pump (feeding/potential power outage) to make sure that it doesn't overflow. Would be one reason to remove the excess water and do a small water change to simultaneously fix your salinity drift and correct the level of water in the sump.

This salinity calculator is useful for seeing how much you need to pull out/add back in: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/TargetSalinity.php

let me rephrase my ato bucket has enough water for maybe 10-11 days when i got back it was bone dry so i figured it must have gotten stuck yesterday or today because it dumped 3 days of water into the sump

I would fix the ATO first so you don't come home to a flooded floor/burned out ATO pump motor. If the level is higher already in your sump you might want to watch carefully the next time you turn off your return pump (feeding/potential power outage) to make sure that it doesn't overflow. Would be one reason to remove the excess water and do a small water change to simultaneously fix your salinity drift and correct the level of water in the sump.

This salinity calculator is useful for seeing how much you need to pull out/add back in: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/TargetSalinity.php
yea i will look at the ato tonight or tomorrow ive already taken it offline

Back