Lowering dKH?

nickskains

Market
Reaction score
I have a 75g and a 20g set up and running. The 20g is doing great. Nitrite/Nitrates are low, pH is 8.3 but the dKH is 20. Any tips on lowering it or is this something that overtime will level itself out. When I first set the tank up I added buffer like mad, the test strips I have/had aren't too good and they never gave an accurate reading on Alk. I got a Alk test kit today and was shocked it was so high. No more buffer adding for me.:lol2: Any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, only thing in the tank (20g) is some snails and hermit crabs, 17 lbs of LR and about 20lbs of sand.

75g levels are all the same but I am in no rush to get stuff in it. Its my brothers transfer tank and he won't be putting his stuff in it till end of July. So its got time to run.

with what you say you have in the tank, nothing is in peril. you inverts wont last long and probbaly are irritated by it but not peril.. just doing a water change and monitor your levels and it will go done and be fine with a little time.

Just incase anyone wants to know. You can use vinegar to lower it. I added it to my 20 and it went from 21dKH to 14dkh. And snails and crabs are still kicking.... for now!:thumbs:

yep, but alos have to really careful with that it will also bring your PH down at a crashing rate.

I added about 1 capful. Roughly 3ml. Hopefully it just stays where it is. :doh: Always a consequence! :sad:

In the future, you can also use water changes to lower it. That's what I had to do.

Back