LR / Quarantine Tank Q?

darren24

Market
Reaction score
I have a purple tang and small clown in a 20G H quarantine tank. All that is in there is some pvc for hiding. I have a softball size piece of LR with some bubble and red vine algae that I want out of my display. Any reason I should not just chuck it in the quarantine tank? It would give them something to pick at I figure.

Darren24;112743 wrote: I have a purple tang and small clown in a 20G H quarantine tank. All that is in there is some pvc for hiding. I have a softball size piece of LR with some bubble and red vine algae that I want out of my display. Any reason I should not just chuck it in the quarantine tank? It would give them something to pick at I figure.

I always keep some live rock rubble in my refugium for exactly this prupose. It is sacrificial rock. If I have to set up the QT, I just put in the rubble, and voila- instant cycle. If I need to medicate, it is sacrifical rock, and cost me 10-20$ at tops anyway, so dont lose sleep over losing it. And, as you said, it offers a LOT of more normal housing for fish, and makes the adjustment a lot easier, in my opinion.

Just don't dose medicines with that in there. The die off could nuke the tank with such a low water volume.

Thanks folks. Both fish are looking very healthy so no medication needed so far.

I use some LR rubble in my QT plus a few pieces of PVC pipe. Just like Cam said...if you use any type of medicine take out the LR first. Glad to hear they are doing well. You should be about ready to add them to your system aren't you Darren?

Does that theory hold true with live sand as well?

I'm setting up a 3-gallon as a secondary display with the idea that I can switch it over to a quarrantine tank if needed by moving the healthy fish out and the sick fish in.

If I medicate with live sand, do I need to replace all the live sand as well as the live rock?

Mark they are ready but I am leaving for 2 days this week and want to make sure the yellow and purple are going to play nice so I will wait until the end of the week. :)

There would be no reason to have LS in your QT. I would stick with LR and some PVC pieces. The LR isn't required, but helps with biofiltration. A good HO filter with a sponges from your mains display is all that is really needed and some places for the fish to hide.

davidbgreen;112933 wrote: Does that theory hold true with live sand as well?

I'm setting up a 3-gallon as a secondary display with the idea that I can switch it over to a quarrantine tank if needed by moving the healthy fish out and the sick fish in.

If I medicate with live sand, do I need to replace all the live sand as well as the live rock?

I wouldn't put live sand in QT unless you have a fish that needs substrate to hide. There are some advantages to rock as LR is the best filtration system in our reef tanks, but few with sand. Cleanup is just easier and dosing meds is a no go with it in some cases. I would avoid it unless necessary. If I did use it, I would toss it or keep the QT system running with it. I wouldn't reintroduce it into my main display since it is so cheap to replace.

Even if I did put sand in for a sand sifter or hider, maybe putting the sand in a tray then into the tank so removale is a bit easier.

Back