LRS vs. Rod's

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
I have used Rod's Original Blend in conjunction with Rod's Seaweed Blend and NLS pellets for a long time, and recently switched to LRS Reef Frenzy and LRS Premium Seaweed to give it a go (still using NLS Pellets). Since switching, I have noticed a significant increase in nutrient levels using approximately the same amount of Reef Frenzy and Seaweed as I did with Rod's stuff.

One of the things that I noticed was how much stronger smelling and slimy the LRS Reef Frenzy was compared to Rod's. IDK if I have just gotten so used to the smell and texture of Rod's foods that my perception might be off a bit, but the LRS stuff just doesn't seem as fresh and the texture just seems off. Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe it's just me being paranoid, but a steady increase in nutrient levels and algae have made me wonder about the quality of the food.

Also, while my fish will eat the LRS seaweed, they don't go bananas over it like they did the different seaweeds in Rod's stuff.

I am about to switch back, mainly b/c I feel my fish like the Rod's stuff better, but just wanted to see if others have noticed the same? All I heard b4 making the switch was good results (other than the whole magnesium thing that went around for a while). I wanted to like it...

I'm certainly not an expert on frozen foods - but i've found Rods to be the "cleanest" that i've used. It's one of the few foods that doesn't muck up the water as it thaws and the only food that I don't rinse before adding to the tank.

Everything else I thaw in a mesh strainer to rinse it off.

reeferman;1046326 wrote: Personally,I've found the exact opposite to be true.

+1

It is so hard to know! I don't get to LFS often so I use which one they carry.

It seems to me that Rod's needs staining more than LRF.

There are also hard chucks and red algae in Rod's that my fish don't like or eat.

That is what I heard others saying b4 I switched, and the reason I wanted to give it a go.

Maybe I just have a bad batch or something.

IDK, probably just gonna go back to what works for me I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it really depends... the LRS Nano blend is some of the cleanest stuff I've ever seen and has practically no odor to it at all. The LRS Fish Frenzy product? That is some pretty strong-smelling stuff.

IME Rod's was full of more "chunks & strings" of stuff I couldn't identify and caused more oily film to form on the top of the water. As for acceptance? I have a yellow clown goby and a bunch of fire shrimp/porcellain crabs/hermits... all of them go berserk for just about anything that hits the water. So not an entirely accurate comparison as they'll react to me PUTTING FOOD OUTSIDE THE TANK.

But my rock flower anemones seem much more interested in LRS (actively snag bits when they land on/nearby), for what it's worth.

I have used LRS for a while as it was the cleanest food I found. Mix it with a couple things for the acros and it does pretty good. I have not had a bad experience with it though. Let us know if you decide to give another pack a try.

I've been through 2 packs of larry's and 4 packs of rods and I prefer rods. I find when I try to thaw larry's, it's all stuck together and I have to get a utensil out to stir/break it apart. Rods i just swirl in a cup for 30 seconds and it's all in pieces. I don't know what gelatin larry's uses but I find it takes me a lot longer to prepare and I find the gelatin filling off putting.
I know that there's a ton of hype about Larry's, especially after his presentation but I still find rods a better fit for me.

outdrsyguy1;1046428 wrote: I've been through 2 packs of larry's and 4 packs of rods and I prefer rods. I find when I try to thaw larry's, it's all stuck together and I have to get a utensil out to stir/break it apart. Rods i just swirl in a cup for 30 seconds and it's all in pieces. I don't know what gelatin larry's uses but I find it takes me a lot longer to prepare and I find the gelatin filling off putting.
I know that there's a ton of hype about Larry's, especially after his presentation but I still find rods a better fit for me.

Which Rods do you use?

I was given a pack once that was great stuff but have never found it again!

View attachment 63383
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1046554=63383-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439320433.478261.jpg
>
1046554=63383-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439320433.478261.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439320433.478261.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I recently bought some of the LRS Reef Frenzy and when I feed it, the skimmer on my 75g goes primate feces every time. OTOH, the skimmer on my 60g is fine. I thaw it in a cup of water and then feed using a bulb syringe. Have any of you experienced this?

reeferman;1046326 wrote: Personally,I've found the exact opposite to be true.

+1
Rods is real messy and clouds the tank.
Not sure what Reef frenzy you tried, but get the nano pack, does not need to be chopped and does not cloud the tank at all.
And fish love it.

outdrsyguy1;1046428 wrote: I find when I try to thaw larry's, it's all stuck together and I have to get a utensil out to stir/break it apart.

Try the nano pack. All I do is break off a chunk, throw it in some ro water, swish it around, throw it in the tank, done.

Back