LumenBright Reflector Review @ Reefkeeping.com

pfritzbelly

Market
Reaction score
I thought that this was a good read. I know a few of you have them on your tanks.

a>

Lee, what's the spread on those lamps at heights like 12" or 18"? I'm picking up a hex tomorrow that's 28"x32" footprint and 23" deep. I'm eyeballing one of those with a 250w as the perfect "keep anything" which would save me the power costs of going with a 400w with a lesser reflector.

If they don't spread enough, though, I might have to move to a 400. I was hoping to not have to pay the 60% energy premium.

The minis cover an area 2'x2'. Anything more and the large LB is suggested. IMO the spread isn't made by the wattage of the bulb....it's directly related to the size of the reflector you use. The higher wattage bulb will just punch deeper into the tank, thus giving you higher PAR.

Agreed on the spread, but from the reading, these reflectors are very good at focusing the light down and thus becoming more like a spotlight than a regular light which bleeds off to the sides so much that it's a radiative source. The reading on these suggest a more directed light pattern so I was hoping a 250 would be intense enough, but wanted to know how wide they get. Sounds like the 250 DE large size would be a good idea for me. My tank will be corals in the center and sand all around for 360 viewing.

Yes the are a more spot light type reflector. Thats why people have these 14-16" off the water so it'll spread the light more. If you were to run these at regular height (5-8") you wouldn't like the effect at all. It'll have a very narrow projection of light. As far as punching water into the tank, any bulb will work well. I run 175's in mine. Though I don't think they would work too well for you considering the odd size of your tank and the likely event that you should be running the large LB. A 250W bulb would be nice... May I suggest going with SE, there are a lot more choices of bulbs out there for SE....unless you're set on DE, then that's fine. Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

I would get the Larger version. I have the double ended pendents and the coverage is around 22 to 23" mine are about 2" lower than recommended so you could add and inch or two more. These are the double ended reflectors that are 16"X16".

If you look at the review Lee wrote here I mention how the light drops off dramatical outside the reflector like to 150 PAR at just 2 inches.

That said I like these reflectors but wish I had gone with the larger ones. Maybe now they make the double ended in the larger size.

Joe

Back