Lunar cycle

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
Is anyone running a lunar cycle with their tank? If so how long are you setting it for?

Also what is the benefits if any for doing one?

Im not sure about the benefits but its cool to see your tank if your up later. I guess you can argue its closer to the natural environment. And i believe some things spawn based on the moon but not so sure a couple blue leds can mimic the that. I run lunar mode on my radion for about an hour. From 9pm to 10 pm. Just because i can.

I run lunar lights that follow actual moon phases. I use the Neptune lunar simulation module and a program on my Apex that uses moon phase info to manage the lunar lights.

It was an easy, turn-key way to do it. It’s kind of cool, but I’m not sure how much my critters care.

Im not sure about the benefits but its cool to see your tank if your up later. I guess you can argue its closer to the natural environment. And i believe some things spawn based on the moon but not so sure a couple blue leds can mimic the that. I run lunar mode on my radion for about an hour. From 9pm to 10 pm. Just because i can.
I run lunar lights that follow actual moon phases. I use the Neptune lunar simulation module and a program on my Apex that uses moon phase info to manage the lunar lights.

It was an easy, turn-key way to do it. It’s kind of cool, but I’m not sure how much my critters care.
Yeah the AI lights app has a feature to do the lunar phase based on the real phase of the moon. I just didnt know if there was a benefit for it and how long people did it for.

The benefits are real. It's been proven that many corals and fish breed based on moon cycle. In fact, many scientists can predict down to what day corals will spawn in the wild. I'm currently trying to get a lunar cycle set up to encourage my RFAs to spawn, and I'm thinking they might have been spawning but my peppermint shrimp have been eating the babies. shrug. Getting those peppermints out will be a pain so I'm kind of stuck I guess.

Either way, adding a lunar cycle definitely couldn't hurt. I've also read that lunar cycles help fish keep from being spooked at night and taking the carpet dive. I know @FutureInterest keeps a lunar cycle and he's had euphyllias spawn in his tank. I think we'd all love to see that happen!

My current issue with the LSM is attempting to have it on when my main lights are off, while still being relatively true to the lunar cycle. Doesn't make sense to have a lunar cycle when all my lights are on.

"Getting those peppermints out will be a pain "
Seems to me that peppermint removal would be very easy with a simple bottle trap. I'd be happy to take them off your hands if you don't have a spot for them

Back