lyretail anthias feeding

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I just purchased 2 lyretail anthias and have been feeding them several times a day now that I am off. I noticed that they eat better when the food is in the water column (about midway down) from the surface. I have been feeding my other fish with an auto feeder but most of the food stays suspended at the top. I was wondering if there was a way to have the food shoot out from the middle of the tank?

Also I feel like I want to add a male to my duo. Is it still possible to add 1 more anthias?

Rodasphoto;1088834 wrote:
Also I feel like I want to add a male to my duo. Is it still possible to add 1 more anthias?

Male Lyretail Anthias are best kept alone or with several females. :fish:

Just curious what you are feeding? Does it float? My food distributes through the whole tank quickly, allowing all inhabitants an equal shot at getting the food.

I found a very small sinking pellet works best for the Anthias in my autofeeder. I use Hikari Marine S and drop it into a small acrylic square that keeps it from floating around the tank before it sinks.

For the most part though I feed twice a day, morning and evening with frozen mysis, the tiny ones from Hikari as well.

If you don't have a male then one of those 2 will turn male so you will end up with one either way. The more females you have the more the natural aggression is spread around so no one get's beat up all the time.

Whistl3r;1088908 wrote: I found a very small sinking pellet works best for the Anthias in my autofeeder. I use Hikari Marine S and drop it into a small acrylic square that keeps it from floating around the tank before it sinks.

For the most part though I feed twice a day, morning and evening with frozen mysis, the tiny ones from Hikari as well.

If you don't have a male then one of those 2 will turn male so you will end up with one either way. The more females you have the more the natural aggression is spread around so no one get's beat up all the time.

So when the next time Lyretails are available I should just add a female?

I am feeding Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Foodhttp://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-mm-pellets-dry-hatchery-diet-sustainable-aquatics.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-mm-pellets-dry-hatchery-diet-sustainable-aquatics.html</a>

I increased the amount fed from the autofeeder and seems to help. Most floats but some tends to start to sink after a little bit. Also the Anthias are starting to eat from the surface.

Back