Made my 1st purchase -- this really is FUN

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 14px;">Well, I waited almost 3 weeks for the LR from Sal's tank to mine to generate a spike -- never got anything -- all zeros across the board SOOOO, I decided to make my first purchase yesterday.

Got a pair of Clowns that were snuggled in a rose anemone.
1 Sally light foot crab (now I realize that was a bad purchase)
1 Fire Shrimp -- my wife had to have it .. and the crab (and I didn't know any better)
1 small Frogspawn

Everyone is eating well.

I think my 2 Koralia 4's are a bit too much turbulence in my 125. I turned them off and frankly I like the current from the returns much better -- especially as I notice the anemone and frogspawn swaying more gently -- and the little Clowns actually swim with a more ease.

When I get a tank worth showing (I've seen some of yours and mine is no where near that nice -- yet) I'll post a few pictures.

Thanks to everyone who has helped get me this far -- my whole family loves this hobby!

-geno:up::yes:

</span></span>

congrates..here is an advice..Don't put too much livestock all at once. It will throw the system out of wack...But I think a pair of clown should be good but I wouldn't add anyting for couple of more weeks.

Congrats on the new purchases. Clowns with a rose anemone are always a good find.
How much flow (gallons per hour) is coming from your return? Depending on that I would probably suggest leaving atleast one of your Powerheads running. Not enough flow can be worst for a reef tank than too much flow.

Thanks for the recommendation to take it slow. That's my plan.

Regarding the return flow -- I'm not sure I actually know. My return pump is a BlueLine NH 200PS that is a beast. I looked it up on their site and it returns 1750 gph and draws 290 watts. There is a good bit of water churn from the two returns.

Does that help LR27 (sorry I don't know your name).

-gene

Here is a http://www.mopsdirect.us/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/wp/WPBL-NH-200-PS-T.asp?L+us+nkgn8622Froogleff398f39+1208138127#Flow">Flowchart</a> with GPM at different heights. You just need to figure out the height the water travels from the pump to the tank and you can find the GPM. Than just times it by 60 to get GPH.
My name is Drew and hope that this helps.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Why was the Sally a bad purchase? I have nothing in my tank that works as hard as my Sally.

Also my crab has a ton of personality and see it doing crazy backflips.

Sally's rule!

I read in my invertebrate book that they are not reef friendly and that as them mature the get nasty.

Sounds like that has not been your experience -- hope it won't be mine either since I will never be able to catch the sucker.

Hey Drew,

It looks like maybe the flow rate is about 1600+ gph using the chart you provided.

So, what do you think -- run one power head?

I believe that you will be happy with your Sally.

I know nothing about this hobby except one thing.

The hard and fast rules that you read in books and things you hear are always proven to be false by someone.

Can't keep more than 1 of a certain type of fish in a tank?......there are people here that do it sucessfully.

Can't mix this with that people here do it all the time.

Read that something is bad and it terrifies you until you realize that people here do it and have no problems.

I really really believe that it's like anything you can get the most laid back Sally or you can get one with an attitude.

Not only would I not trade my sally for any other cleaning critter....I want about three more.

Hell if it gets that big and gets nasty you can always grill it!

Loren W's sally is about the size of a Volvo and never got nasty. I have a Sally in my tank as well and have seen no problems, although mine is still young.

The Sally is a great purchase! Mine works its butt off cleaning, always working. It will scare the dickens out of you the first time it molts.

Seedless Reefer;165140 wrote: Geno,

Jeff will also scare the dickens out of you when HE molts!

I'll be molting tonight!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
165146=10196-cocoon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
165146=10196-cocoon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="cocoon.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

congrats on your new purchases, as said before a rose nem , with 2 hosting clowns is a super find, sally's are great. I would turn on your Koralias if i was you. The more flow the better.

I have a 125 with returns and have 3 kor 4's in the tank. All the flow tends to keep waste moving out of the display. With all that flow there is still a few dead spots. I say the more the better! I have a huge Sally! Its cool though. I think he just acts bad.

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks to all who offered reassuring comments about my purchase, flow rate and especially about my Sally. I fee MUCH better.

I woke up about 2 a.m. and realized I had taken the heater out (it's been so hot in my tank -- I think I've mentioned it wants to run about 82 all the time).

Well, I put a fan in the sump and two blowing across the top of the water column.

At 2 a.m. I realized the fish were going to get really cold. I checked the temp and it was 76.4 -- I guess not bad.

Question: What is the lowest temp that is still safe? I've got a pretty good idea of the highest safe temp -- but not the lowest.

</span></span>

geno;165191 wrote: <span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Question: What is the lowest temp that is still safe? I've got a pretty good idea of the highest safe temp -- but not the lowest.</span></span>

IMO, it's more important to keep your tank at a constant temperature. A slight fluctuation of 1 to 2 degrees is almost inevitable (unless your running a chiller or very powerful fans) but anything more than that is undesireable.

A poll was taken recently on what temp everyone keeps their reef. I think 80 degrees was the most popular choice, and 78 the second most popular. I keep mine at 79.5.

Back