mag 12 on 40g

jwils27

Supporting
Reaction score
I am putting a mag 12 on my 40 cube that i'm picking up from mark later this week. This will be the only pump in the system. It will be placed across the back ofthe tank. Distributed with a DIY spray bar. With holes to disperse the water at the glass at about 45 degree angles and some holes going down the back of the tank.

I wanted to get some opinions on whether that is to much water flow for a reef tank? the tank will be a mix of SPS, LPS, softies and an anenome. a mag 12 will turn the tank over 30 times an hour.

It really depends on how the water hits the coral. If it's pounding it to death, yeah, there's a problem. Just try to have the spray bar hit the glass or rocks first, and not the coral directly. Think of how non linear waves are.

the water will be hitting the glass first also it will be facing so it goes down the back of the rocks

Lets put it this way... I have used a Mag 36 on my 55's CL before and it was fine... I now use a Mag 24 and it is almost too little for how I have my CL done... I think a Mag 12 on a 40 is fine if done right...

also keep in mind that a spraybar is going to put ALOT of back pressure on the pump and will dramaticly reduce the flow. You will not get anywhere near 1200gph out of the spraybar...

Back