mag-7 pump

paul692

Market
Reaction score
has anybody ever placed one outside the sump? do they run hot or make a lot of noise? im just trying to free up some room in the sump.

paul692;952216 wrote: has anybody ever placed one outside the sump? do they run hot or make a lot of noise? im just trying to free up some room in the sump.

Yes, on my old system I ran a mag 7 externally and it worked great. Any time you can run a pump outside of the sump I would recommend it... It can reduce the tank temperature by a degree or two.

As for the noise, I put a foam pad underneath the mag 7 to cut back on the vibration against the base of the stand. If I recall, it was pretty quiet once I did this.

Thanks Jeff I'm going to screw it to the back side of the stand maybe i will put a mouse pad under it

What Jeff said is true. My experience has been that Mag's are subject to leaking hence why most people run them in sump. I would look to use a Quiet One instead. Lower heat, quieter and I've never heard of one leaking. They're about the same price, maybe even a little less (unless you have one already). JMO

Yep, known leakers. They work but put a drip pan underneath.

Quiet One or Deep Blue are more reliable in that regard. Quieter/cooler too.

Jenn

Back