Mag Float EZ scraper rusting

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
like the title says......I put one of those ez scarpers in my brothers tank less than a week ago and its already rusting. Is this supposed to happen? Is it bad?

Don't leave the blade in the tank. After I use mine, I remove the blade, dry it off and store it until next use....would advise you remove it now.

Thanks. ill go ahead and do that but i thought the whole point of that thing was so you could leave it in the tank. oh well. Couldnt they have used stainless?

^I know. It sucks that there are no good scrapers that can stay in the tank. At least the EZ Blade works great...

yeah it really works unbelievably well. I guess since its already rusted pretty good I should do a water change tomorrow too. Can i use a chemical to get the rust off the blade?

How long was it in there? Should be okay, just stick to your regular WC schedule. I would throw the blade away. I have a pack of blades for it and I am right up the street from Norcross - I will give you one. Let me find the freakin' thing and then I will PM you....knew I shoulda put it somewhere close by.

thanks just PMd you back...I havent figured out how to change where I live yet. i moved to Miami. thanks much though.

jcusmarine;268044 wrote: ^I know. It sucks that there are no good scrapers that can stay in the tank. At least the EZ Blade works great...

My $10 Mag-Float hasn't come out of the tank since I put it in a few months ago.

you dont need to do a water change, rust is a phosphate remover...dont worry about it.

what I do to make the life longer is wash it out with warm water then dry it-it still rusts, just takes a good bit longer to do so

Yeah, the directions of the scraper also say you should remove it and rinse it after every use.

THey probably could have used stainless, but those replacement blades are already expensive. Imagine the cost of stainless ones. THey may never sell any ( too expensive and/or they last forever)

yeah. the they will last forever part is probably a better reason not to do it (for them that is).

I guess I missed the instructions since I didnt read them.....whoops.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Here's a cheap place for a replacement:
http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=agf_blades&Category_Code=m1&Product_Count=0">http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=agf_blades&Category_Code=m1&Product_Count=0</a>
They are currently on backorder, though.

Back