Mag Floats on Acrylic?

chull13

Market
Reaction score
Can you use Mag Floats on acrylic tanks? They say you can on the package but I just want to make sure. I have my first acrylic tank and don't want to scratch it. If you cannot use Mag Floats... what is the best thing to use for cleaning the tank?

Thanks,

Chris

As long as it is designed for Acrylic then yes they do work. Just be carefull cleaning near the sand. You can also use those white sponges to clean acrylic, the ones that look kind of like filter pads.

the blue ones I believe are the acrylic safe ones. But those little calcifying (sp?) worms can get into the little pads area and might scratch the acrylic. What I use is a larger mag float..just happens to be a glass one and have the white acrylic cleaning pad (one that comes on those handle scrubbers) but i keep it out of the water when not in use. You can do that with the regular acrylic scrubber but i dont think it cleans as well.

You can use a mag float but you will find that no matter how careful you are... you will scratch the tank. The pads that come on those are crap imo. Also Lil deposits from previous cleanings on an seemingly clean pad will scratch the acrylic. Heck breathing too hard on the acrylic will scratch it.

So I add my own pad to them which makes them safer. I bought a large sheet of thick 100% polyester batting from a cloth store. It's cheap and reef safe. Then you just cut a new piece off everytime you clean the tank and put it on the magfloat. When you're done throw it out.

Ahh but the clarity of the acrylic makes it ALMOST worth the hassle. Almost... but not quite.

Starfire is the way to go.

Back