MAG pump not working -- HELP!!

alikat

Market
Reaction score
The thing is brand new. Paid around $120 for it a month ago. Came back after being out of town for a week, and the thing isn't working. Any ideas? The water in the sump return area was low, but surely it didn't crap out on me because of that?

Please someone help me on this! I can't afford another one of these things. :ahh:

the impellar is only like 8 bucks so if you need one its no biggie....

Plus there under warranty I can help you with warranty if the impellar doesn't fix it.

Sometimes they suck up a piece of rock or something and it will wedge or lock it up. Let me know if you need any help, you can call me at 423-664-0500.

/d

donnyholland;130987 wrote: the impellar is only like 8 bucks so if you need one its no biggie....

Plus there under warranty I can help you with warranty if the impellar doesn't fix it.

Sometimes they suck up a piece of rock or something and it will wedge or lock it up. Let me know if you need any help, you can call me at 423-664-0500.

/d

It's a little late, so I won't call you. But I will buy you the biggest margarita known to man if you help me with the warranty.

I'm still crossing my fingers that I won't need your help. I have it soaking in vinegar now, per some advice from Reef Central. Anything else I can do? I unscrewed the thing to wear I can see the propeller. (I know I sound like a dumb blonde but I know NOTHING about these things!) I plugged it in and the propeller thing wasn't moving. What else should I do?

Take the impeller and magnet out. See anything stuck in there?!? Rinse off the impeller, rinse out the hole with the impeller was. Put it back together and give it a whirl. If you do not hear the impeller moving at all, you got an internal problem.

dawgdude;131181 wrote: You unscrew those four screws. Then there is a rubber seal on there so you have to pull it apart fairly hard. Then there is a thing in there that looks like a snow flake made out of plastic. This is the impeller and you pull that out (depending on the number it might be easy to pull out or if its a 12 or 24 it might be hard) and look at the impeller. You should see a completely smooth surface with no lines down it. If it is broken you will see a line down it long ways and its cracked.

don't forget that seal that you have to twist (then pull out-aligning the slots) that holds the propeller in. Vinegar is a great idea along with pulling everything apart including pulling the propeller completely out to clean.

Not sure what seal you're talked about. The good news is that the propeller is working. Bad news is that apparently it's not working well enough to return water to the tank. I can feel the water pressure all the way to the top of the return hose, but there's no water coming out.

dawgdude;131206 wrote: Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in a few times? Sounds like a broken impeller.

I've tried everything! Like I said, it's moving and is pushing the water up part of the return, but not the complete way.

I'm so upset about this. I bought it at Marine Fish right after Christmas, and I can't find my receipt. You think they'll help me out?

albert;131056 wrote: My MAG7 did the same thing the other day. After a quick cleaning of the impeller it started right up.

It did worry me a bit though - what if this happens while I am out of town for a few days ...
I've thought the same thing Albert. I have been wanting to setup dual return pumps just for this reason. That way if one burns out I still have atleast one returning, even if it is underpowered, it still better than no return at all.

Matt

I'm certainly not a pump expert, but I'll be happy to take a look at it if you like. I also have a QuietOne 1200 (300gph) pump that I use as a utility pump if you need to borrow it while you sort out problems with the Mag.

I'm just outside PTC. LMK.

Back