Maintenance Costs

kwl1763

Market
Reaction score
I realize almost all of us do all our own maintenance around here but it is looking like I'm going to be moving once again (I hate moving but have never had a house more then 4 years, that work thing gets in the way!)

Anyway, one of the realtors today said they really thought the tank (my 450 inwall) would be a huge selling point on the house and they think I should keep it up while the house is on the market even if I move.

So for anyone who has had maintenance before or knows could you give me some ball parks on how much weekly service would cost. The tank is pretty self sufficient with calcium reactor, auto topoff, etc. So it would be testing and changing water and cleaning the glass, etc, etc. My wife will still be here to feed the fish (for now) but I don't want her to have do the maint. and also the realtor said people will ask how much it costs.

Anyway thanks for any insight you can give.

Here is a link to all the history of the tank just FYI.

showthread.php

kwl1763;328010 wrote: Anyway, one of the realtors today said they really thought the tank (my 450 inwall) would be a huge selling point on the house

I've heard the opposite from realtors on Reef Central, this topic comes up from time to time. Come to think of it I can't remember a single realtor saying a big fish tank in-wall is a good thing to have when trying to unload a house.

Ya it's odd, I have heard that many times as well but have had 3 out 4 here tell me to keep it. It is awesome but I think it would be a bit overwhelming.

Now if you were selling the house to someone here, then yes...a big selling point...heh

Now if you made yourself available for follow up in the care of the tank after selling the house, then it just may work.

I have heard that some will sell the house and include 6 months of maintenance free to allow a learning curve. I would ask Danny over at MRC/SEC

IME it's not a selling feature - we've had to help tear down some tanks for homeowners who were selling.

Once one of my clients who had a 120-in-wall had trouble selling until his realtor put this ridiculous sign on the tank saying that the thing was "maintenance-free" (It had ato LOL) and it was in a state of "bio-balance"... WTH???

Several months later after a new homeowner got a clue, we were called in to "fix" things... tank looked like crap, most of the corals were dead, the fish weren't looking too hot either... he hired us to service it a few times, but then gave up - he wanted an instant fix to months of neglect. I think he ended up taking down the tank.

My shop provides maintenance but not as far afield as Dacula.

Jenn

In the current market, the tank IS a selling feature. THere is so much inventory, you need something to make your house stand apart from the rest. "Cool" features will do that (Aqaurium, movie theater, etc.). Will you get adequately compensated for it? Heck no! But, will your house sell? Yup! And that's what counts in this market.

Think about staging a house. You want the house to be memorable and inviting. A beautiful aquarium is just that.

Skriz;328478 wrote: In the current market, the tank IS a selling feature. THere is so much inventory, you need something to make your house stand apart from the rest. "Cool" features will do that (Aqaurium, movie theater, etc.). Will you get adequately compensated for it? Heck no! But, will your house sell? Yup! And that's what counts in this market.

Think about staging a house. You want the house to be memorable and inviting. A beautiful aquarium is just that.
Good point.. I was hoping to see your take on it..
We where looking at putting a inground pool in a few years ago and was told that if we didnt plan on living here awhile.. Dont.. It can be a major turnoff unless thats what the buyer is dead set on..

Pools are a different animal; they're not that uncommon anymore. There is also a lot of knowledge about the upkeep and maintenance of a pool; they've lost their cool factor...unless it's an indoor pool.

This market is so different it's amazing. I'm no stranger to real estate. I had my liscense for several years in Texas and have moved 5 times and owned lots of rental property over the years. A lot of the old "rules" just aren't valid in this market. With all the inventory and lack of buyers yours has to be a bit unique. Now that doesn't mean go painting your house neon, etc. but as Raj says when they have 3 to look at that are the exact same thing the little stuff like a great finished basement with theatre room, well maintained, in wall tank, huge decks, and the like are all things that would be considered wasted money before are actually helping things sell.

Ugh pools, don't get me started. My wife really wants one again when we move and I absoutely hate them. So much maintenance for not much use. If we had kids maybe but when you don't I consider them a waste of property!

Skriz;328478 wrote: In the current market, the tank IS a selling feature.......you need something to make your house stand apart from the rest. "Cool" features will do that (Aqaurium, movie theater, etc.).

I disagree with including "aquarium" and "movie theater" in the same group. It's one thing for the house to have a movie room that anyone can enjoy, and it's another to have a big in-wall fish tank that requires lots of knowledge, time, and money to maintain. Any in-wall fishtank will have a room behind the "viewing wall" with all the equipment taking up space. I think the average home buyer would rather have a clean wall and a big closet rather than "waste" that space on a "fish tank."

Going one step further, I think the average person considers home aquariums to be a fad leftover from the 80s.

-Dustin

I would of paid more for my house if it would of had an in wall tank rather than a sun room. But that is just me I guess.

But... the original question hasn't been answered. Nobody has given the OP and idea of weekly cost to have a pro maintain a tank.

I was woundering the same thing. I would like to know how much that would be also. Even though we dont have anyone around here that would do it.

450 gallon maint ouch, i got a quote down in FL for my father in law and the LFS quoted me 50 cents a gallon and maint every week. So by their figure your looking at $225 a week?? Of course we are not in FL and i would not expect it to cost that much but at least you know what some places charge. Good luck

I disagree with your disagreement! Real estate is an area where I just happen to know a little.

Buying a house is emotional. People buy houses that are memorable. Fact is, an aquarium is memorable. NOBODY knows how much work and expense an aquarium truly is until they actually get into it and do it. You have to remember that people think that aquariums are cheap and there's nothing to do as far as maintenance goes (most people's knowledge is on freshwater).

My statements are not theory or opinion, they're reality. I don't deal with the low end housing market, so maybe it doesn't apply there, but Keith's house isn't on the low end, so it's irrelevant. The house is in the bracket where it does serve a cool factor. Even if he has to pull the tank out, it will at least leave an impression for the buyer to buy the house. That's all you can ask for in today's market.

RedEDGE2k1;328676 wrote: I disagree with including "aquarium" and "movie theater" in the same group. It's one thing for the house to have a movie room that anyone can enjoy, and it's another to have a big in-wall fish tank that requires lots of knowledge, time, and money to maintain. Any in-wall fishtank will have a room behind the "viewing wall" with all the equipment taking up space. I think the average home buyer would rather have a clean wall and a big closet rather than "waste" that space on a "fish tank."

Going one step further, I think the average person considers home aquariums to be a fad leftover from the 80s.

-Dustin

Back