Majano or bta

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Some one is selling these.. appear to be a majano to me..what do you all think??
2bbc64d31fc75f46bc521459b718e645.jpg
alt="" />

My vote's ity-bity bubble tips... IME majano anemone tentacles end in a more "club-like" manner, are shorter and lack the trailing tip. And ditto the bit about the # of them... a majano's oral disk is usually clearly visible.

Did this recently split?

I hate to rain on the parade but IMO they're Anemonia majano. I've seen plenty of them that look just like that and they can grow into large colonies. I initially mistook them for tiny E. quadricolor, and they quickly multiplied to nuisance numbers.

Do you have an Entamacea quadricolor in your tank already? (Bubble tip anemone)

Jenn

JennM;1001585 wrote: I hate to rain on the parade but IMO they're Anemonia majano. I've seen plenty of them that look just like that and they can grow into large colonies. I initially mistook them for tiny E. quadricolor, and they quickly multiplied to nuisance numbers.

Do you have an Entamacea quadricolor in your tank already? (Bubble tip anemone)

Jenn

Well dang. Gotta trust Jenn on this one.

And hey even if they weren't -- do you really want them? Looks kind of boring to me.

I see that the original post says somebody is selling them. I'd find out if they had a BTA that these cloned from or if they 'spontaneously appeared'. If it's the latter, you can take it to the bank that they are majanos. It's possible to have tiny clones from BTAs but they usually have more size to them.

Colonial majanos are pretty - til they take over ;)

Jenn

JennM;1001589 wrote: Colonial majanos are pretty - til they take over ;)

Jenn

Hehehe......and so are teal palys and blue clove polyps and Xenia and certain monti caps and on and on!:doh:

Yes but those others are considered desirable (by and large).

I couldn't grow Blue Cloves fast enough to satisfy demand - and I know you loathe them ;)

JennM;1001622 wrote: Yes but those others are considered desirable (by and large).

I couldn't grow Blue Cloves fast enough to satisfy demand - and I know you loathe them ;)

And for what ever reason I can't get them to grow in mine! Had a rock I bought covered in them. Thought they were cool. They slowly just disappeared. Mushrooms are my nemesis !!!!:yuk:

JennM;1001622 wrote: Yes but those others are considered desirable (by and large).

I only loathe them in an all SPS tank actually. I have had a nice, controlled population of maybe 4-5 square inches of the things that stays small in my mixed reef (no sps) for several years now. Plenty of euphyllia with sweeper tentacles to keep them in check in this reef. They were a problem for me when the corals really couldn't defend themselves. Mainly an issue with sps and zoas, IME, but not with much else.

Back