**** Majanos

sbmille2

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone try a majano wand or have one i can try? Have used TONS of aiptasia x with no success. Getting desperate here..... have tried a filefish with no success either. They're on huge rocks with coral attached so i can't take them out. Also tried peppermint shrimp but my blue throat usually gets them before they can do anything. I have a 300 gallon tank so catching something once you put it in the tank has been my reserve with putting a butterfly in. Thoughts?!?!? Suggestions?!?!?!

I feel your pain.

Peppermints won't eat Majanos so don't waste any more shrimp trying.

Copperbanded butterflies sometimes will eat them but then it's a risk that it will munch on your corals too.

It's tough enough to nuke them by hand in a big tank like that. My suggestion with using Aiptasia X is to make sure you cover the little buggers completely, or when they start to burn, they stress and release their gametes and that starts a new crop. By covering them complete, they gametes don't get away.

Good luck - I've fought many battles and there's just no easy solutions.

Jenn

I've never had good luck with copperbands living. They either get ich before i put them in my system or my tangs beat them up once they get in the system. I'm thinking about moving all my lps and what tangs i can catch to my 210 and taking my chance with adding a couple different butterflies to take care of the problem. I think I'm past the point that aiptasia x can get it under control.....

What I have used on both majanos and aiptasia with great success is Kalkwasser. I mix about a teaspoon of Kaltwasser in a small amount of RO/DI to make a slurry. Using a small hypodermic needle, I inject it in the center of each one. POOF! Gone, not to return again.

sbmille2;1093942 wrote: Anyone try a majano wand or have one i can try? Have used TONS of aiptasia x with no success. Getting desperate here..... have tried a filefish with no success either. They're on huge rocks with coral attached so i can't take them out. Also tried peppermint shrimp but my blue throat usually gets them before they can do anything. I have a 300 gallon tank so catching something once you put it in the tank has been my reserve with putting a butterfly in. Thoughts?!?!? Suggestions?!?!?!

if you want to try a majano wand i have one you can borrow to try. I've had pretty good success with it but it takes repeated use. LMK, bob

Bob, would love to try it.... I'll send you my number if you could let me know where to pick it up.

It's sadly going to be a manual war that will win this for you unless you are willing to press the reset. A 300 gallon display is a lot of tank to manually work on tho.

For me, I used kalk paste like urbanknight above. I always had issues getting it stuck in the syringe so I just used a feeding wand and smothered the little buggers with kalk paste. They just melt. Just make sure your circulation pumps are off other than your return pump. Then let the kalk dissolve into the water... and then turn your pumps back on. Best of luck!

Sorry, just re-read your initial post. Whew, it looks like kalk paste or aiptasia-x is about all you can do. I've had some luck with larger anemones & using a "crayon" of RODI ice to get the foot to release, but these may be too small for that trick, too.

Pondering...

Wish me luck! just put a copperband and klein's butterfly in the display. They've been in qt then moved them into my 210 for a couple weeks that's attached to my main system. I put a couple test pieces in there and the aptsaia and majano disappeared so.... here we go. I moved all my lps that weren't attached to rocks into the 210 so hopefully the majano and aptasia are the low hanging fruit!

So far so good... knock on wood. They definitely like aptasia more the majanos.

Back