Major algae dusting on glass

donniea1800

Market
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my 50 gallon reef for 2 or 3 years now. Was fighting a long battle with dino and think i finally won. Alot of manual removal and keeping nutrients low. I was also dosing mb7 for about the last month. Finally the sand is white and no dino. But now the algae dust on my glass is out of control. I usually clean it every 2 or 3 days. Now for the last week i wipe it and its back in about an hour. What would cause this? My thought is the MB7 built up and now dying off causing the glass issue. Anyone else had this happen by using maybe too much mb7 of carbon dosing?

I did last week and they were not even registering enough to get a color so they were 0. I have not since since last week. I will test today and report back.

May want to check your mag levels. I notice more of the "brown dust" when my mag drops.

Ok so i ran all the test. Nothing is standing out at me. Maybe a bacterial issue from the build up of MB7? Tests were run with red sea pro kits.
PO4: 0 - 0.2
NO3: 0 - 0.25
Mag: 1320
Cal: 440
Dkh: 8

Ok so the algae on the glass is getting much better. Staying clean much longer. I think it was definitely some bacterial issue with dosing too much MB7. The good thing is the dino is still gone with no sign of it at all. I think I just need to continue regular water changes and keep letting the tank balance itself back out.

Back