major diatom bloom or explosion

roundman

Market
Reaction score
3 weeks ago I added my sump and fuge. The fuge has 40 lbs of live sand and the guy at CB said I might see some diatom bloom. I was not expecting what I got it is more than what I had when I set up my tank in both the fuge and the DT. In the DT it is ok got critters wandering around but in the fuge with no critters there is a major bubble field stuck in with the diatoms. Should I stir up this to get the bubbles out or just leave it alone and not worry about it.

I used to stir mine to keep everything from floating to the top. Not sure if it's good or bad, though.

Suck out what you can. Get rid of it though rather then just stirring.

kwl1763;71692 wrote: Suck out what you can. Get rid of it though rather then just stirring.

Yup, suck out as much as you can, and be patient. It will take some time but it will eventually go away. You most likely had a cycle, and diatoms are incredibly common.

Honestly the whole live sand in a bag thing is a joke :). Just mix in some sand from your display or someone elses tank and it'll be more alive than the "live" stuff they sell...

In addition since you bought "live" sand you didn't wash any of the nasties out which apparently included a ton of silicates and phosphates... Sorry bro you just got punk'd by really good marketing!!! It's all good though, it happens to everyone! Next time get the dry stuff and wash it thoroughly you'll be better off :).

Jin had it explained.... Diatom you see is the result of all the dead stuff in the live sand,
Now, you have two choice, you can let it run the cycle, which can last anywhere from a few weeks to few months, or start increasing water changes to cut down the time for it to settle down. Any other change is just patching up the problem which will just prop back up when you go back to normal schedule.

Make sure to only use RODI water for top offs and water changes. Tapwater usually has a fair amount of silicates and phosphates. I know I'm stating the obvious to most people but I hate not to mention it.

Make sure to only use RODI water for top-offs and water changes. Tapwater can have a fair amount of silicates and phosphates. I know this is stating the obvious for most of us but I just wanted to make sure it was said.

Tank is 4 months old but sump and fuge are weeks old and that is where I put the new sand. I do use ro/di water for all top offs.

Back