Make a new sump?

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Ok. One of the simplest upgrades for me right now would be a larger sump. I don't have a lot of room underneath because I have a 2 partition stand. One section is wet... The other is dry for the electrical components.
Ideally I need something that is 27 long by 24 wide and 15ish high.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using
m

Prob have to go custom acrylic. I had to special order a 30 gallon from pure reef because it was a perfect size and hard to find. Good luck!

To get the most bang from the stand room that I had, I stacked mine using two fairly common size sumps. By doing so, I was able to create a dedicated refugium in one and skimming sump in the other. Each are fed independently by the supplies in the 180. Worked for me...something you might look at.

I used a 40 gallon tank I purchased for $50 and got some thick acrylic I purchase at Lowes who cut it for me. Not the greatest, but it works and it was definitely budget friendly. See pics...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

You can always find one or two used aquariums, tear them apart and build it from that. Glass is much more forgiving than acrylic when it comes to the DIYer. Not that you couldn't build one using acrylic, but as stated previously, it does require the right tools/equipment. With glass all you need is some razor blades/scraper, 20lb fish line, a $6 cutter, straight edge, and aquarium grade silicone. And definitely some leather gloves.

Disassembling the aquarium, if you can't get the razor blade to work. You can use it like a rope saw. Goes through the silicone fairly easily.

I did it when I got a used sump off of another member that required me to relocate baffles. The space was too tight to get into with a razor.

I could help you either way you go. I can model the sump in 3d and get the quantities and dimensions that you will need, as well as assembly instructions.

ghbrewer;930428 wrote: I did it when I got a used sump off of another member that required me to relocate baffles. The space was too tight to get into with a razor.

You ruined my nice pretty sump????? LOL

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

LOL. No....that was another sump. Yours should be good to go after a quick cleaning.

I think it will be more than a "quick" cleaning. :)

I know you all think I have no heart but now I have an ultrasound to prove it. :)

Back