Make Up Water Funk?

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
I was jut out in the garage and decided to check on my make up water that's been sitting out there for a couple weeks. It's in a sealed 40G Brute container. It smelled a little like, well...feet! I mixed it up for about 5 minutes and it went away (kinda). I always aerate a good couple hours before I do water change, but does anyone else notice a bit of a funky smell after water has sat a bit? The smell wasn't really overpowering or anything...just kinda there.

Yeah, for me its the container. The water doesn't seem to have a smell to it when I take out a cup of it.

U sure that its not your sewage drain?j/k...no my mix typically smells like the ocean to me...i mix in a 32gallon brute but i have been noticing my top off water is getting white sediment in it...i am thinking that my ato going to my kalk reactor is back flowing a little bit back into the ro container.

molson;350902 wrote: Yeah, for me its the container. The water doesn't seem to have a smell to it when I take out a cup of it.

I'll have to try this, but I'm betting it's the same for me. When I switch tanks next weekend, I'll probably use most of what I have made up already. Might be a good time to rinse out the container with some light bleach water and let it sit for a few days. Good idea?

I got the the point of using can liners for this reason. Using the big 6-8 mil bags has been working well, change it every second or third mix. Beats having to scrub the barrel every so often.
As long as nothing tears the liner, you should be fine.

Robb and I both discussed this recently. We both have the same "cat pee-ish" smell in water after it is a few days old. It isn't only SW; I get it in my ATO reservior also. RO/DI, by the way. Never shows any ammonia.

cr500_af;351337 wrote: Robb and I both discussed this recently. We both have the same "cat pee-ish" smell in water after it is a few days old. It isn't only SW; I get it in my ATO reservior also. RO/DI, by the way. Never shows any ammonia.

And we both have no cats...

Robb

It will do that if you leave it without circulation. It's best not to make your water too early before use.

Skriz;351352 wrote: It will do that if you leave it without circulation. It's best not to make your water too early before use.

Mine does that even with a powerhead running in it 24/7. I just make it up 24 hrs before use now, though it bugs the crap out of me not to have emergency water on hand.

I don't keep anymore than 5 gallons at a time. I make RO/Di in 5 gal bucket and my salt water is made in 5 gal buckets a day or 2 before water changes. Usually keep a 5 gallon bucket of new salt water airating for emergencies. Never notice any smell. I use about 5 gallons RO daily unless making water for changes about once every other week. I rinse out RO bucket (toss and swish around remaining 1 gal of RO) about every week or two.

I usually have 4 or 5 buckets handy. Pain but easier to move since slop sink on 2nd floor w/RO and I'm not supposed to lift over 10 lbs. (yeh right - I calculate that a 5 gal bucket of salt water weighs about 10 lbs. using new math) LOL. I'll pay for it someday when they have to cut on my back again, but for now.......

radha;351532 wrote: What is this "make up water" you speak of??

That just refers to new salt water you've made up. I haven't heard from anyone I've ever asked that make up water has a "shelf life" as long as it's sealed in a proper container and aerated, etc before use.

Back