Making fish food????

william1

Market
Reaction score
So its time again to make some fish food for the kritters. Just wanted some input from peole and see what everyone is using. M recent batches have been really simple just a bunch of different frozen foods blended up and frozen. I have mostly SPS and 2 nems 6 fish and some softys. I wanted to add my phyto in the mix so my filter feeders get a dose daily. I feed 2 times a day. So give up those special reciepts....

Try to incorporate spirulina or some other sort of algae, and a pellet food, as well as some liquid vitamins if you can. Brightwell Aquatics makes some quality vitamins.

The vitamins are for the fish? is there anything I can add for the corals along with the fish food.

WILLIAM1;178568 wrote: The vitamins are for the fish? is there anything I can add for the corals along with the fish food.
Amino Acids, but I don't know how well they freeze.

Go to the farmers market and buy some shrimp,mussels,fish etc.. Take the stuff from the market and toss it in a food processor with some selcon,cyclopeze,spirulina ..... and let it rip. Toss it in the freezer and you've got at least 6 months worth of food.

theplatypus;178591 wrote: Go to the farmers market and buy some shrimp,mussels,fish etc.. Take the stuff from the market and toss it in a food processor with some selcon,cyclopeze,spirulina ..... and let it rip. Toss it in the freezer and you've got at least 6 months worth of food.

can you get all that at the farmers market

jgilley84;178635 wrote: can you get all that at the farmers market

You can get everything except Selcon,Cyclopeze,Spirulina, and DT's Oyster Eggs at the farmers market.

I am fixing to make food again as well.... The "recipe" is different if I am making my medicated food but for normal food it is pretty simple.

Like everyone has said, I go to the Buford Farmers market and pick up the raw seafood mix for $3.49 a lb. I do not follow a recipe but it goes something like this:

1 lb of seafood mix
1 4oz fillet of frozen fish from Kroger (Usually Talipia or Mahi)
about 4-5 sheets of Nori julienned
2 3.5 oz packages of Cyclops
1-2 3.5 oz packages of Enriched Brine
1/2 bottle of Selcon
2 oz each of Reef Plus and Reef Trace
A few batches of home raised Rotofers.
Any dry food that I have laying around or that has been given to me
A few dashes of Garlic Extract
Some Phyto

There are a few tricks that I have learned over the years:
1) Make sure all your food (except dry and liquid) are really frozen solid. It makes it much easier to chop in the blender.
2) When blending, only go for about 15 seconds at a time and then put the blender for a min or two in the freezer. Over blending can heat up the food and start to cook it.
3) Blend all you solids with VERY LITTLE liquid. Add the liquid at the end.
4) Do not add too much liquid to the mix. You want it to be chunky not soupy.
5) Freeze in gallon bags, flat, only about 1/4" thick. Any more then that and it is not easy to break into chunks or cut. This is also the reason for using very little liquid.
6) You can consider putting your frozen Brine, Rotofers, and Cyclops in a bowl the thaw in the fridge and adding to the mix after blending the other stuff. These items do not need to be blended and are somewhat better if they aren't.

Hope that helps.You being down the road, if you want to come and make food together, my door is open.

There was a tread on health of fish a while ago and someone had a great reciept I just cant find it.

Is this the one you're looking for?

showthread.php

Back