Making my sump

danh

Market
Reaction score
I'm not satisfied with a 20l sump that really only holds the skimmer and return for my 93g cube.. I saw a couple of cube options that looked decent. One here but too far away and not cheap. This one will end up costing me about $75.

U flow pattern. 25x19x16.

One side will house the skimmer and a refugium with one water level. I am going to separate the two with one baffle. I want there to be good flow through the refugium so I think I'm going to let most of the water go under the baffled or go through holes drilled low in the baffle. I want it to flow from low to high to try to maximize the use of the rubble and probably some chaeto in that area. The water level will probably be 9 to 10". I may add a small tray to the overflow side so that I can slide in a piece of acrylic to raise that height. Just to give me some adjustability.

The refugium will overflow in to the other side of the U. I think that side is only going to be about 6" wide and also have one water level across the entire 25" side. I really only need it a little wider than the return pump. There will be two compartments separated by baffles to get the bubbles out by the pump compartment. The first two baffles will probably have a tray between them for chemical media. The other will be a compartment to house the algae scrubber. I'll put a bulkhead high in the long center baffled fed on the fuge side from the maninfold and then run the pvc to feed the algae mat lengthwise in that section. There will probably be about 6" of water in this side.

It's probably hard to visualize. I'll get some more pics up tonight as it should be taking a little bit better shape. Suggestions welcome ASAP though!

second hand acrylic
20160612_190128_zpsxzsdha0s.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160612_191826_zpsljsz1e9e.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Cutting with just a circular saw, L square, straight edge and clamps did ok. They weren't perfectly straight. Most sealed up fine with weldon 4 but I needed some 16 for one not perfect cut and a little all over for peace of mind. There were some holes already drilled in this acrylic so I had to place some patches that I also used as seam reinforcement.

20160613_192424_zpsguvy8ll1.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160613_192427_zpsuvluylki.jpg
alt="" /></a>

pump compartment will also house the probes. Not completely sure where the ATO will enter the sump. I'll make a bracket for it.

b12e11e3da8d11a4f2f6ce700fa98596.jpg
alt="" />

Here is my 20L skimmer fuge and return. You can also add more baffles for other stuff if you want? I'm thinking about splitting the return sec and make it a ato sec

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

My current 20l looks similar to that but just two baffles. Same skimmer too I think S200

Ps150 I believe is the model skimmer I have. There's actually a good bit you can do with a 20 long believe it or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I made a lot of progress last night. Tonight I will water test for leaks and to see if the holes from the one side to the other are big enough. I put the pump, skimmer and the algea scrubber mat in the spots that they will be to help give perspective.

20160614_223126_zpsnverpc4l.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160614_223132_zpsyhkniu20.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160614_223135_zpsiptycv6b.jpg
alt="" /></a>

20160614_223140_zpskc3tydzu.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I still think I'm going to add some more top bracing, cord holders and probably something to help make sure my ATO line doesn't come loose.

It needed a couple of interior seems fixed and the center baffle on the pump side extended. Should be ready to go in this weekend.

20160615_190038_zpswizvre2l.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Back