Mangrove Tank Stocking Suggestions

SaltedCarmel

Market
Reaction score
74399932902__ADFE92BB-E6F3-4A8A-96C5-5DAF6DE19FF9.jpeg

I’m looking for unique suggestions to stock this IM15 AIO. I’d prefer to do oddball fish/invertebrates that are typically associated with mangrove forests in the wild instead of reef fish.

Some of my initial ideas were:

- Mantis shrimp species-only
- Pipefish + inverts
- Dwarf seahorses (would be challenging due to daily feeding requirement & college)
- Pistol shrimp-goby pair
- Upside-down jellyfish

Let me know what you think!

(Also yes the mangroves underwater are actually growing successfully. They should reach the surface in a month or so and will then sprout leaves. Whenever I do water changes, I let them dry out for a little as an extra precaution.)

Once the roots are established, a group of pistol shrimp and gobies could be a really cool option. Similarly, a flock of pearly jawfish would be very at home within the roots. With enough macroalgae/root surface area, you could actually keep some micro seahorses with almost no additional supplementation. Mosaic Macros sells some that are the size of a pinky nail as adults, they keep them in "goldfish bowls" with macros and seagrasses and they thrive.
Other ideas could be pea puffers, canthigaster puffers, a harem of blackcap Grammas, a group of dartfish, or any other fish that is usually too skittish to keep in normal aquaria.

Quick tip, with that many pods they are bound to overgrow each other and end up choking each other out; it takes a while for them to grow, but after a year or so even just one is enough to fill a whole nano with roots. Getting light to the animals below will be a problem with so many competing canopies.

Once the roots are established, a group of pistol shrimp and gobies could be a really cool option. Similarly, a flock of pearly jawfish would be very at home within the roots. With enough macroalgae/root surface area, you could actually keep some micro seahorses with almost no additional supplementation. Mosaic Macros sells some that are the size of a pinky nail as adults, they keep them in "goldfish bowls" with macros and seagrasses and they thrive.
Other ideas could be pea puffers, canthigaster puffers, a harem of blackcap Grammas, a group of dartfish, or any other fish that is usually too skittish to keep in normal aquaria.

Quick tip, with that many pods they are bound to overgrow each other and end up choking each other out; it takes a while for them to grow, but after a year or so even just one is enough to fill a whole nano with roots. Getting light to the animals below will be a problem with so many competing canopies.
I love these suggestions! This tank might be a tad small for pearly jawfish or blackcap grammas, but puffers is a really great idea! I'm definitely partial to dwarf seahorses, so if I can make it work with feeding them, they're definitely #1 on my list so far. Thanks for the tip by the way, I'll see what I can do about the mangroves. Some of the propagules may go to new homes; I just wanted to make sure I had a couple survive their initial addition to the aquarium!

If you can get your hands on them, a small school of Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish would be amazing! They are found naturally in mangrove areas in Australia. Would be very unique as I think most reefers don't even know these exist!

Wait this is such an incredible suggestion! Ideas like this is exactly what I was looking for. I’ve never heard of them before, but I’ll definitely be on the lookout for them now. I guess I should do a little update on what the tank is looking like currently, because it would get you all a better sense of what I’m going for.
If you can get your hands on them, a small school of Neon Blue Eye Rainbowfish would be amazing! They are found naturally in mangrove areas in Australia. Would be very unique as I think most reefers don't even know these exist!

I guess I might as well turn this into a legitimate build thread (if it’s possible to change the title, someone please let me know how).

I’ll start off with an update on the tank as it’s been filled for a little over a month now.

The current stock:
- 4 Red-leg hermit crabs
- 2 Cerith snails
- 3 Astraea snails (these will eventually go to my main reef tank as they do better on rock than sand)

Hitchhikers include a live barnacle that came with one of the mangrove props, a spaghetti worm, several collonista snails, and an unknown amount of micro brittle stars.

IMG_3960.jpegIMG_3961.jpeg

Under the sand is a layer of Fluval Stratum, which I believe is the culprit for the near-exponential growth these mangroves have had over the past 2 weeks.

My current plans are to set this up as (finally) a dwarf seahorse tank. I’m in the process of perfecting my baby brine shrimp hatchery and I also would like to get Tisbe biminiensis harpacticoid pods culturing before I bring in the horses.

image.jpg

So my order of Shoal Grass (Halodule wrightii) from Aquaticus Plants just arrived! It all looks super healthy and was the perfect amount for a nano like this. They even assured me that their systems are treated so the plants are hydroid-free (I guess we’ll find out).

Either way, I love the way they look and they should do well in my deep sand + soil substrate. This species also has the added bonus of being the species, besides Turtle Grass (Thalassia testudinum), that dwarf seahorses are most commonly found among in the wild.

This is my first experiment with sea grasses, so if anyone has any tips please let me know!

Back