March TOTM

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
Alright guys. I know the deadline has expired. But I am willing to extend it a few days to see some more tanks come in. I know we have more than 3 nice tanks larger than 120g out there. Thats right, we only had 3 submissions, which is a full 1 less than required to actually do a TOTM contest. The tanks we received are great, and it's not that the group or I feel the tanks we received were in any way inadequate. I just thought going in with a spread of 120g or larger we would have too many to go through.

I know this is a new way of doing it, but we have set up rules in order to keep it orderly, and make it possible to continue to do TOTM without interruption regardless of who participates in the development.

If you have a tank, or know a member who has a tank that fits the current months theme, please submit a close to recent full tank shot and the owners name/ARC screen name to mailto:arc4fun@googlegroups.com">arc4fun@googlegroups.com</a> or in a PM/email to ANY of the totm or potm crew.

There were a couple recommendations for tanks here and there, but without a photo or anyone in the decision group to have seen it, it is very hard to judge something we have not seen.

If anyone has any recommendations on how we can improve the TOTM selection process or anything about it in general, please use this thread to help us out. We want to create more involvement, but we have not had that, so I am at least open to suggestions for improvement.

Thank you to everyone, and especially to those who have participated and helped us make this possible.

Oh, and unless there is any opposition, the theme for next month will likely be <span style="color: Red">species only tanks</span>. So get 'em ready!

Even if you've won a totm in the past decade, you can still be considered. Please don't be shy.

On another note. Are there no recommendations on how we can improve the TOTM presentation or concept?

Stress more in depth write ups. I expressed this before. Just a reminder. Species only may be tough, I don't know of many with a species only tank... Unless it's a mantis.

mantis, pipe, sea horse, wrasses, a tank with a single display fish...?

nothing too picky, I'm up for something different, I just want to do something that brings out tanks one would not normally see, especially in a TOTM setting.

and to be honest. our now 4 submissions tell me that I can guess that I'll see more species only tanks.

kind of what I had in mind when I said wrasses. but I was mostly trying to say species only is not as restrictive as it sounds.

last month. it was called nano, but I believe the requirements would have included that. (we can do a specific one if thats something people would like to see)

If you are poking fun, thats not exactly nice. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just looking for ideas.

And there is nothing to say that you cant just take ALL submissions, and choose themes from them. Then you kinda have tanks lined up for a few months out, and can always get teh most up-to-date pics/info on them when their month comes up.

That way you get more submissions, then choose the best nanos, gigantors, mediums, all around, species, etrc from the large collection of submissions. I think this would work well since there is no public vote on the tanks, and you can kinda choose a lineup in your committee..

Derek_S;291796 wrote: And there is nothing to say that you cant just take ALL submissions, and choose themes from them. Then you kinda have tanks lined up for a few months out, and can always get teh most up-to-date pics/info on them when their month comes up.

That way you get more submissions, then choose the best nanos, gigantors, mediums, all around, species, etrc from the large collection of submissions. I think this would work well since there is no public vote on the tanks, and you can kinda choose a lineup in your committee..

we thought about that, but managing the database is not an easy task. We just could not come up with a way to effectively set up and evaluate a database of tanks.

plus by requesting submissions every month we keep people active in participation, not just see who wins kinda thing.

Again, I am just trying to create a discussion or dialog, I would love to have a list of tanks to pull from, but theoretically, if I do 40-120g this month I would then have all the tanks in the arc, but I wont...so its tough to say.

and thanks for the comments and suggestions. I know we have improving to do, so hopefully we can get some bugs out.

I thought about doing fowlr, but thought it would get turned down. good suggestions.

I know it may not be what you want, but you may also want to consider a tank of the quarter or something. You get more time to collect submissions, err whatever. I know it doesnt go along with the active dialogue you'd like, but it would keep from exhausting the supply of really nice tanks in the ARC that are willing to participate.

Either way, good job and thanks for doing it, as I enjoy the TOTM presentations. In another year maybe I will be submitting.

Back