Mardel/CopperSafe Ick Medicine

thearnoldocean

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this or used it? The active ingredient is Chelated Copper Sulfate. I have heard of the harshness of copper, Is that what this is? Or is it a softer version. Trying to come up with a solution for my Puffer.

I also am interested in the fresh water dip but I am not sure how to do that.

Help is appreciated.

Ummmmm, FW dip on a puffer is a BAD idea... it is one of the fish that you really can not FW dip and if I remember correctly they are sensitive to copper. So neither of those threatments would be the best choice.

To answer your question, there are two types of copper and neither one of them is less harsh then the other.

Cupramine would appear to be a superior product.

From Seachems website.

Cupramineâ„¢ is superior to copper sulfate, chloride & citrate: it is non-acidic, less toxic to fish, remains in solution, and does not contaminate the filter bed. It is superior to chelates: it is fully charged (ionic), and active at low concentrations, and is removable with carbon. Unlike ionic copper or copper citrates, Cupramineâ„¢will not precipitate out.

Of course the site would say that THEIR product is superior.... ;)

Copper Precipitating out can be a VERY good thing. It allows you to control the dose much easier then ionic copper in many cases. Both are still very harsh... One tip of advice, make sure you use a test kit for the TYPE of copper you use.

Back