marine epoxy question

gaguy68

Market
Reaction score
can u use marine epoxy like you get at home depot for attached live rock to base rock etc? or just aquarium safe like the kind you get in a tube and have to kneed to haiti and back, and how do you make that stuff work... i've tried it and couldn't get anything to stick ( underwater)

Not to pile on your thread, but I have the same question!

That green stick stuff that the aquarium stores not only has never adhered for me, but it makes my skimmer go absolutely bonkers for 2-4 hours afterwards.

Superglue gel works OK for small stuff, but you need something heavier duty for holding heavier pieces in place.

If your talking about the liquid epoxy resins then no they wont bond if the surface is wet. Once its set I dont see why it wouldn't be safe but it will not bond underwater or to a wet surface.

What I do to attach frags to rocks etc, is, I get some Aquamend. Knead it into a 3/4" ball or whatever size you need. Get some Loctite Super Glue GEL. Make sure its GEL. Put the glue on one end of the epoxy then place whatever it is your gonna glue, frag rock etc. Then put some more glue on the other end of the epoxy and glue it to the rock. Works well and my fish swim right across some of my frags and it doesn't budge. There was also a thread on Reefcentral regarding this topic which is where I got this idea. I will see if I can dig it up for ya.

Nick

Back