Marine pure to replace rubble in sump?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys I was thinking about replacing the rebel rock in my sump with a big block of marine pure due to the fact that so much detritus collects within the rocks it's just a mess and hard to clean. Has anybody done this it has any tips? How long should I leave the Marine pier in with the rocks before removing the rocks or can I just take them out right away?

You will still have the detritus to deal with. I use seachem matrix in coarse net bags. I remove them every 2 months to rise in RO water and suck out the sump to keep things clean and flowing well.

I did xport bio blocks and matrix . It's more of a rubble but I'm keeping a few shrimp in my fuge under the mass of cheato and the like it . Easy to clean with suction hose if need be .

I have marinepure blocks and recently picked up some Maxspect (sp?) biospheres. My goal was the same as yours. I wanted something I could handle easier and remove from the tank to "clean". I have Matrix too but I'm a sucker for new products. If I were starting over, I'd go with the spheres because they seem more durable and I just like them better. You can't believe everything that you read but according to their website, 10 spheres can replace 10kg of live rock. I know it all depends on what kind of live rock we're talking about but either way, it's easier to handle, clean and apparently packs quite a punch in terms of housing bacteria.

I did xport bio blocks and matrix . It's more of a rubble but I'm keeping a few shrimp in my fuge under the mass of cheato and the like it . Easy to clean with suction hose if need be .

I added the blocks,cubes , and matrix and a full bottle of biospira and let it settle over night before turning on the flow . I think I have 2L total . Probably too much but ...

You will still have the detritus to deal with. I use seachem matrix in coarse net bags. I remove them every 2 months to rise in RO water and suck out the sump to keep things clean and flowing well.
I do exactly the same, Seachem Matrix in mesh bags. Could also use the bags for spheres.

Marine pure utilizes a lot of aluminum in their ceramic. Some tanks have experienced elevated aluminum when using it. How harmful is Al? No idea...

Ive been using the marine pure spheres in my fresh and salt tanks. Lately ive been using BIOHOME ULTIMATE MARINE media. Its big across the pond but is catching on here in the us. So far seems to work pretty good

Marine pure utilizes a lot of aluminum in their ceramic. Some tanks have experienced elevated aluminum when using it. How harmful is Al? No idea...

Chemically, aluminum has a +3 charge, so acts like an acid.
Aluminum is present in soils, and in our red Georgia clay in high percentages.
Aluminum can sometimes have toxic effects, such on plants for example, however this is always at low pH (<6). This is also why we add lime to our lawns.
As the local pH increases, aluminum tends to react with the basic ions and stabilize in the process.
As we all know, healthy marine aquaria have an abundance of basic ions (alkalinity), so should ensure the stability of any aluminum present.
I'll look for a reference where this has been formally studied, and would be highly surprised to find anything to the contrary.

I have the Marine Pure spheres in my sump with no issues so far. I bought them based on the study done comparing various other ceramic media effectiveness.

Chemically, aluminum has a +3 charge, so acts like an acid.
Aluminum is present in soils, and in our red Georgia clay in high percentages.
Aluminum can sometimes have toxic effects, such on plants for example, however this is always at low pH (<6). This is also why we add lime to our lawns.
As the local pH increases, aluminum tends to react with the basic ions and stabilize in the process.
As we all know, healthy marine aquaria have an abundance of basic ions (alkalinity), so should ensure the stability of any aluminum present.
I'll look for a reference where this has been formally studied, and would be highly surprised to find anything to the contrary.

Boom! That's awesome. :)

You're like our own personal Randy Holmes Farley but better as he couldn't answer that question.

Back