Mark's Basement Sump Project

mschum

Market
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time listener first time poster and I'm going to try to post my basement sump project. My DT is currently a 90 gallon and has been running for a couple of years with a simple 20 gallon sump. In upgrading to a basement sump I'm planning on accomplishing a few things including eliminating trips up the stairs with buckets, adding a fuge and frag tank in the basement, and adding some more DT's upstairs sometime in the distant future. I've also been putting off a lot of smaller projects until I get the sump moved including running skimmer air line outside, upgrading my skimmer, and running a GFO reactor instead of media bags.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 150 gallon stock tank and a used Reeflo Barracuda pump. I also built a stand for the tank about a foot high. Here's a picture.

photo1.jpg
alt="" />

Since I had some 2" pvc fittings and pipe left over from another project I decided to replace the bulkhead that came with the tank with a 2" uniseal. I tried to drill the hole without any support and ended up buggering up the hole and had to go with a 3" uniseal. After a short delay ordering another uniseal I now have a sump with a 3" inch bulkhead woo hoo.

I'll try to update as the project progresses but don't hold your breath as it seems the older I get the days just seem to get shorter and shorter. I had my first child about a year ago and she demands a lot of attention so my progress may be slow. I'm hoping that posting here will motivate me to keep it moving faster though!
photo2.jpg
alt="" />

photo3.jpg
alt="" />

Thanks,

Mark

looks great! i love my basement sump setup. Doing all dosing, water change, top off, testing etc. in the basement has been awesome Along with some frag/prop tanks it is my refuge sometimes to escape.my family calls it the lab.

Looks really nice.
I have a similar set up with stock tanks as well.

Have fun !!!

I picked up some fittings and a 2 inch valve the other day and I found a couple minutes to piece it together. Here is a picture of what I'm thinking for an intake. I'm ordering a check valve tomorrow and I'm going to build a platform for the pump next.

04ce3078.jpg
alt="" />

I have a basement sump. I am nearby if you want to see mine and steal some ideas.

holabird;738172 wrote: I have a basement sump. I am nearby if you want to see mine and steal some ideas.

Saw this set up yesterday. I am missing just one thing to do it myself. A basement.

rdnelson99;738231 wrote: Saw this set up yesterday. I am missing just one thing to do it myself. A basement.

ya beat me to it!!. wife said I can't add on to the house just to add a fish room :^(

I found about 5 minutes of time last night to work on a platform for the pump. Check valve is on the way. I should be able to glue up a few pieces and check for leaks in the next couple days.

7916a841.jpg
alt="" />

Well I have been pretty busy lately and havn't been getting too much done with the sump. Here are some pics of the latest progress. I'm thinking I need another check valve above the top valve. The line to the left of the tee will supply a 55 gal frag tank, a 20 gal fuge and a return to the sump. I'm starting to think about a skimmer, suggestions welcome, should be roughly 200 gallon system overall I guess with 90 dt 50 frag and then the fuge and sump.
ca4fd95a.jpg
>http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/mschum402/ca4fd95a.jpg</a>
1bf2f77e.jpg
>http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/mschum402/1bf2f77e.jpg</a>

Edit: Here are the pics. They didn't work right on my last post.

ca4fd95a.jpg
alt="" />

ca4fd95a.jpg
alt="" />
1bf2f77e.jpg
alt="" />

ca4fd95a.jpg
alt="" />
1bf2f77e.jpg
alt="" />

As a side note here are some pics of the loot I got from the frag meet and some pics of my 90. Yes I know I have severe algae problems. Still battling that on many fronts.
2b412c77.jpg
alt="" />
&lt;img src=&quot;
b6a8feac.jpg
alt="" />" alt="" /&gt;
&lt;img src=&quot;
b6a8feac.jpg
alt="" />" alt="" /&gt;
&lt;img src=&quot;
6e9e0260.jpg
alt="" />" alt="" /&gt;

I just thought of another quick question. Is anyone familiar with the Tunze Osmolator? I want to know if it would hurt the electronic sensor if it submerged in water say like in a power outage? Im thinking about foregoing the check valve since it could fail anyway. I think my sump could handle the volume but it would rise a good 10 to 12 inches possibly with all that 2 inch pvc.

I'd replace that uniseal with a bulkhead. You can get 3in from either granger or McMaster Carr. The uniseals can loose their effectiveness after a while.

Mockery;745816 wrote: I'd replace that uniseal with a bulkhead. You can get 3in from either granger or McMaster Carr. The uniseals can loose their effectiveness after a while.

I agree. Put a grey schedule 80 on it and forget about it.

JM

Back