Maroon Pairing

Aratz26

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know maroons can be meaner then anything else however, I have had a maroon in my tank for roughly 6 months and it has grown a lot! I introduced one around 2 inches smaller, in a hanging breeder box. I have released him once and they did not get along. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I need to trust the process and keep them in the breeder boxes till one of them switch gender? I am assuming the one that has dominated the tank for 6 months is a female now. Any advise would be much appreciated!

If they are already getting along it should be fine to leave them together, over time the dominant fish will switch to female. They may at times do a "shaking" dance, this is when they are establishing who is in charge, it's totally normal.

If they are already getting along it should be fine to leave them together, over time the dominant fish will switch to female. They may at times do a "shaking" dance, this is when they are establishing who is in charge, it's totally normal.
Right so last week when I released the little one he started getting chased in half a second. I am wondering if I should let him sit in there for awhile longer or if it is even doing anything in a clear hanging breeder box. Also cool stuff I didn't know about the shake.

It took me about 3 weeks to get them to the point where it was no longer "I am going to kill you" to the "stay over there and I will tolerate you" phaze.. I used a breeder box as well and would feed them on either side of it soon they female was hanging out right next to the box. The first time I tried to introduce after a week she was still trying to kill the smaller one so i put him back in the box for two weeks after that he was ignored for a few days and then they would swim a little closer but the male wasn't allowed to sleep in the nem. Within a week though super close.

It took me about 3 weeks to get them to the point where it was no longer "I am going to kill you" to the "stay over there and I will tolerate you" phaze.. I used a breeder box as well and would feed them on either side of it soon they female was hanging out right next to the box. The first time I tried to introduce after a week she was still trying to kill the smaller one so i put him back in the box for two weeks after that he was ignored for a few days and then they would swim a little closer but the male wasn't allowed to sleep in the nem. Within a week though super close.
Ok word! I am in the 2/3 week phase so we shall see how it goes. Mine are lightning as well! Ill tag you if it ends up working out! Thanks for the help!

You bet my tank was a 20 long and when I let them out the male would hide behind the breeder box for the first two days
she wouldn't/couldn't chase him there.. It worked out though and I think yours will too.

Back