Master test kit?

tanks4life

Market
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Hagen master test kit. I got it because I read that API isn't the best choice... does anyone have any experience with this brand? Is it better about the same?

You will find most use redsea pro, salifert, elos and Hanna checkers. I can't speak for what you have Im not familiar with it.

Ok thanks. I was looking for the red sea and saw this one so I figured I would see.

I prefer Hanna for PO4
Salifert for Alk, calc, mag
Redsea pro for No4

Others work well also but that's what ive learned to be the more reliable and easy to use

I recently purchased the Seachem Nitrite/trate test kit and I am not impressed by it. Hard to read and very cheap feeling.

Ok so I finally had a moment to use the new test kit. it's certainly easier to read and use than API. It gives a very clear reading and the color charts are very easily matched up.

Hagen is OK, a while back I did some comparisons using reference solutions and they were OK. Anything is better than API.

I'm a fan of Seachem tests, I've used them for over a decade. Not sure what "cheap feeling" means, but they'll measure up against more complicated and expensive tests, AND they provide a reference sample so you can test the accuracy of the kit (and your method).

Red Sea and Salifert are good too, but I always found that while everyone recommends them, not as many people actually *buy* them. Make sure you check the expiration dates on those brands, they have a rather short shelf life. Seachem has a longer shelf life. They have lot numbers (not expiration dates) if you're in doubt, call 888-Seachem with the lot number and they will tell you if it's good or not - and replace if necessary.

You won't get better customer support than Seachem.

Jenn

JennM;991628 wrote: Hagen is OK, a while back I did some comparisons using reference solutions and they were OK. Anything is better than API.

I'm a fan of Seachem tests, I've used them for over a decade. Not sure what "cheap feeling" means, but they'll measure up against more complicated and expensive tests, AND they provide a reference sample so you can test the accuracy of the kit (and your method).

Red Sea and Salifert are good too, but I always found that while everyone recommends them, not as many people actually *buy* them. Make sure you check the expiration dates on those brands, they have a rather short shelf life. Seachem has a longer shelf life. They have lot numbers (not expiration dates) if you're in doubt, call 888-Seachem with the lot number and they will tell you if it's good or not - and replace if necessary.

You won't get better customer support than Seachem.

Jenn

The sliding color reference chart seems cheap. If memory serves me correct its not laminated. No case to keep everything. Seachem does a fantastic job at making everything else simple and presented nicely that I feel it fell short.

No not laminated. Doesn't really need to be, IMO... but if that's the biggest complaint, it's not a huge deal.

Back