Matrix good or bad?

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi all. I have Mareix cubes in the job filters in both QT tanks and about 10 of them in the refugium section of my sump and also a sand bed down ther with a couple of mangroves. I’m thinking if adding the Chaeto soon unless it isn’t a good idea.

When you notice an uptick in Nitrates/Phosphates. That's what chaeto eats, so if it has nothing to eat it will die and leech those nutrients back into your tank.

So my NO3 is around 5 ppm and last time I checked the PO4 (last week) it was .01
Both were much higher 2 weeks ago, like 10-20 and .2

Yes that was why I was asking about the matrix because my nutrients are stable and fairly low already and I wanted to make sure I didn’t already have too much in there between filter floss and an ounce or so of the BRS carbon which I can’t remember but it’s the itty bitty pellets that are for the reactor plus the protein skimmer and matrix. I just double checked the pH with RedSea test and it is indeed low 7.6 so added the eight four to it which will bump it up for a bit but not for any length of time. Guess we will have to figure out how to get a line attached to outside air. My husband is hesitant to put a hole through the exterior wall for bugs to get into. I mean we can caulk around it but he’s still not thrilled with the idea. We have stupid vinyl siding on our house so it’s a bit trickier.

I did not want to put a hole in my vinyl siding either. I have a single story house so I put the hole in my ceiling and ran a line into the attic.

I did not want to put a hole in my vinyl siding either. I have a single story house so I put the hole in my ceiling and ran a line into the attic.
Good idea but I don’t even have an attic. Prior to our purchase the attic was dormers and now it’s a room!

Don't you already have some penetrations through the wall or are planning one for the water lines? The line for the air can be super long, it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't get kinked. Skimmers usually come with the silicone line but you can use the vinyl stuff you get at Home Depot too. Just as long as is stays open, you're good.

Matix = good stuff.

Don't you already have some penetrations through the wall or are planning one for the water lines? The line for the air can be super long, it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't get kinked. Skimmers usually come with the silicone line but you can use the vinyl stuff you get at Home Depot too. Just as long as is stays open, you're good.

Matix = good stuff.
We indeed were planning that but he’s gotten kinda skittish on it. We’re still carrying water. Lol.

Yes that was why I was asking about the matrix because my nutrients are stable and fairly low already and I wanted to make sure I didn’t already have too much in there between filter floss and an ounce or so of the BRS carbon which I can’t remember but it’s the itty bitty pellets that are for the reactor plus the protein skimmer and matrix. I just double checked the pH with RedSea test and it is indeed low 7.6 so added the eight four to it which will bump it up for a bit but not for any length of time. Guess we will have to figure out how to get a line attached to outside air. My husband is hesitant to put a hole through the exterior wall for bugs to get into. I mean we can caulk around it but he’s still not thrilled with the idea. We have stupid vinyl siding on our house so it’s a bit trickier.
Its low but don't chase ph life will adjust, I could tell the difference in growth from 7.6 ph inside air to 8.3 outside air

Back