Matrix

joeyprice

Reaction score
I have this bucket of Matrix that I inherited from a guy that moved out of state and I was going to throw it in the sump instead of rock rubble, but then I thought maybe it needed higher flow. Should I put it in a reactor?

It's great stuff. I put it in a media bag and place it in the sump. It's really versatile stuff and it can be run in a reactor too.

I use it in many different ways. I filled the middle chamber of my bio cube with it. I also use it in mesh bags in all my sumps. And I put it in mesh bags in hang on back filters for my temporary tanks and also in all the hang on back filters on my fresh water tanks. As long as there is some flow it will grow nitrifying bacteria.

I use it to seed QT tanks so they don't have to be cycled. I keep a LOT of it in a big ole bag in my sump and pull it when I need it. Gladly, I haven't had to use a QT tank in a while :D

OK, so I have filled a small reactor with it with the goal of controlling nitrates. Do I need to dose carbon for this?

If you're aiming to control nitrates, yes. That specific bacteria needs a carbon source.
would biopellets in another reactor do the trick, and/or be advisable? Or should I liquid dose? I have some All For Reef, does that have a carbon source?

would biopellets in another reactor do the trick, and/or be advisable? Or should I liquid dose? I have some All For Reef, does that have a carbon source?
Yes, biopellets would work. Just another form of carbon. Also, I never ran biopellets but at one point, I was considering it and I did a bunch of research. I read that you can make it more effective by having the output of the biopellet reactor facing the intake of the skimmer. Something to consider.

Biopellets need a nice tumbling action. Be careful as I almost had a while tank fiasco when it got stuck and then the buildup/film on pellets released into the tank choking out the fish. Had to scramble to get them in the frag tank whilst I did an 80%+ water change. Corals made it through fine though. This was 29 biocube and thus why more dangerous.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I mentioned biopellets because I have a reactor already and all I'd need is a small pump. I have an Apex that I have not hooked up yet and can buy a dosing pump if there is a better/safer/more effective way for a novice to get their feet wet in carbon dosing.

Back