Max spec gyre

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
So I've been out a good while but I'm slowly starting my build. I see technology has changed since my last tank. Lol. Been reading a lot about the max spec Gyre and was wondering the current opinions on it? I have radion lighting so it would be cool to get the newer quiet vortecs and integrate them all together. However the price on the Gyre seems crazy good.

my 2 cents. I've never used vortecs but i've used plenty of tunze variable and jebao.
Gyre has great flow, the flow pattern really moves a lot of water at good pace all over the tank. I chose to have the current alternate as I just felt it would be better for the corals so I set up another pump on the opposite side and switch back and forth with apex. Don't bother with the gyre reverse switching, reverse is useless IMO.
Love the flow, the sleek look and how close you can put it to the surface without getting wirlpool bubbles.
Hate: there are approximately 30 pieces to clean when you clean it. Reassembly and getting the flow aimed right where you wanted like before never happens for me. Plus sometimes I put the darn cages in backwards and have to start all over. Also, for some reason I have a really hard time aiming the discharge jet without smacking corals near the outlet.

Lastly, I've found that if you take 2 powerheads you can make your own "gyre" flow patern. I ended up using my 2 tunze pumps on the opposite end from the gyre to alternate current in my tank. It works great and I can hook the tunze into my apex and vary speed of the flow during that counter clockwise cycle. Turn them all on at once if you want to show any detritus who's boss and it'll be like a hurricane in your tank (definitely don't do it if you don't have all frags glued down).

My personal reefer gut tells me that I'd rather have 10x tank turnover of gyre type flow than 20x turnover of random powerheads blasting every which way and fighting each other. It seems much more natural and I feel like the whole tank gets flow and not just a water cannon in certain areas and dead spots in a lot of other areas.

The gyre is a good pump. I use one on my 48" long. Reliable and quiet.

I've also used plenty of eco tech , just not the QD. If they are actually quiet they would also be great pumps.

Can't go wrong with either imo

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

what are size and dimensions of the tank you're looking at setting up?

Back