Maxspect Gyre vs EcoTech mp10

Smithhansen

Market
Reaction score
I’m looking at wavemakera for my biocube 32 and I keep going back and forth between the mp10 and maxspect gyre. Does anyone have experience with either and what are your thoughts.

I’m not sure I’d say you couldn’t/shouldn’t use it in a 32gal.

I bought a used MP10 for a 57gal build that didn’t happen (ended up going big right from the start). While waiting on my new tank to get set up and cycle, I used that little MP10 in a 20L I used as a holding tank for some livestock I got a deal on. Worked like a charm.

Could I have blown all the coral and fish out of the tank?? Absolutely! But if you choose one of the more moderate wave patterns and keep it at the lower end of its capacity most of the time, I don’t see why you couldn’t use it in a 32g.

That said, I don’t think I’d pay full price for a new one if I was only going to use a fraction of its power and capabilities. You should be able to pick up a good used one pretty easily from someone moving up to a bigger tank that either doesn’t need it or can’t use it because the new tank’s glass is too thick (think it is ½” max for the MP10).

I'm a Vortech guy and running a wide open MP10 would be quite a lot but I have an MP40 that I rarely run stronger than 50%. It's a great product and whenever I've had issues with any Ecotech products, I can reach out to them and get answers quickly and warranty items are taken care of in a timely manner. Ecotech products also hold their value pretty well if you even need to go a different route. (Please keep in mind that I know very little about he Maxspect product.)

I have an MP40 and 1st Gen Gyre in my 125. I love them both but MP40 is better built. I haven't had to replace anything with the MP40QD. Gyre I replaced the controller (Maxspect replaced for free), motor (free) and magnet impeller i just replaced a few weeks bad. Been running 24/7 since 12/2014. Their customer service has been top notch so I can't complain too much. The new Gyre coming out looks impressive and I may upgrade my 1st gen to the new version. You can't beat the wide flow it puts out. I actually bought another MP40QD over Black Friday but I am going to return it and keep my gyre as I like the wide flow better for my tank.

Back