Maxspect Razor question for you...opinions wanted

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
So I have an opportunity to purchase a Maxspect Razor R420R 120w, 16,000k unit for $80. Now you'll say that sounds like a bargain however it doesn't have a power supply nor the legs. The legs aren't a big deal to me as I would hang it anyway. Without being able to power it up, I don't know (and neither does the seller) if there are any other issues. Visually it looks fine. Is the power supply anything special? Does anybody have one that could tell me if it is? I'm not looking to just blow $80 if it's bad but I suppose in some ways the possible reward outweighs the risk.

What would you do?

http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-razor-120w-power-supply">http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-razor-120w-power-supply</a>

Here is the power supply for it. I guess it would be do you need it or is it more buying for a good deal? I am always a sucker for a good deal. Seller seem trustworthy?

Jeff, I own one of those lights. You're welcome to use my power supply to check it out.

Thanks Austin and Doug. $100 for a power supply seems a bit high to me and certainly makes it where I'm not sure there is a value there. I know the light is about $300 new so I'd be just over half value. I don't personally know the seller which makes it a harder decision.

Great lights and I'm growing a SPS dominate tank. Depending on the coverage you're expecting to get out of the 120w, that would be a big factor. One think to look out for is, there was a period when the controls were literally melting up. Look for any type of plastic melting near or around the interface. Coralvue has long since resolved that issue. Plus all the parts and upgrades are available. Great light for the price IMO.

I'll put putting it over a 40B so I don't think coverage is an issue. And it will be with another LED to I'm pretty sure the tank will be covered. I'm really considering pulling the trigger on this as worst case would be that I part it out.

Back