maybe a dumb question but.....

tgriffin

Market
Reaction score
So I got a couple of fans I'm wanting to install in my canopy (thanks Seth the Wine Guy). They are 120 mm which I think is pretty common. I have a hole saw set that has both 4 inch and 5 inch saws. Neither fits just right. I looked online and 120 mm comes out to about 4.7 inches. What do most folks use for cutting the holes for 120 mm fans? Do they make a 120 mm hole saw? If so does anyone want to let me borrow one long enough to drill 2 holes?

I used either my jig saw or my Rotozip to cut holes of odd sizes. routers work well to. My Rotozip has a hole cutting attachment so it made it easier.

Ok... My A.D.D is kicking in. Maybe I should have google 120 mm hole saw right after I google what the conversion of 120 mm to inches was!

Does anybody have one I could borrow close to Cumming?

Thanks

Do you want a roto zip or holesaw? I will have to check I think I have a 4.5" holesaw. I know I have a rotozip with the circle cutter.

Jason

Edit: Yep. I have a 4.5" (114mm for the googley challenged). So I'v got you covered either way!!

Yeah man, I'd like to borrow the 4.5" hole saw from you. I'm waiting to hear from someone I will be seeing tomorrow to see if they have one. If they do I'll let you know

Thanks Jason

Cool it's in the mustang. Just be sure next time I see you I am drivein it and not the truck!!

Jason

tgriffin;618886 wrote: So I got a couple of fans I'm wanting to install in my canopy (thanks Seth the Wine Guy). They are 120 mm which I think is pretty common. I have a hole saw set that has both 4 inch and 5 inch saws. Neither fits just right.

I have a template for my router that I made for this purpose, it makes a perfectly sized hole. You're welcomed to stop by my place one weekend and we'll make the holes, if you can make the drive to Sandy Springs.

Dustin

Ty, make sure you want those fans. Fans those size can be loud. I would turn them on an listen. I cannot stand roaring fans. I bought some silent ones that I cannot hear.

jhutto;619463 wrote: Ty, make sure you want those fans. Fans those size can be loud. I would turn them on an listen. I cannot stand roaring fans. I bought some silent ones that I cannot hear.

I don't know about cheap computer fans, but I installed a set of IceCap 120mm fans in a canopy I built for Vista and they were dead silent. Of course, they're pricey, but it's probably worth it if you want to avoid the noise.

Dustin

Might were not cheap computer fans.

I have heard from more one person that the ice cap fans were noisy.

Dustin. I'll be around this weekend if u are up for it. I won't have my truck but will have my wife's van. As long as it'll fit in there (I think it will) I'll bring it down and knock two holes out. I'll be in touch. Thx!

Joe. I plugged them in and they aren't too loud for me. The last fan I had was LOUD so I got used to hearing that. My plan is to go to LED's in a year or so and then only run one fan total!! PS...... We need to go fishing! I' need to dust off my fishing rods

Back