MDF cabinet

MDF, not sure what that is but I have used a cabinet from Lowes for my QT that looks like it should be used for a basic kitchen or storage cabinet
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1012978=59183-IMG_03538.jpg
>
1012978=59183-IMG_03538.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_03538.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
1012978=59185-IMG_0533.jpg
>
1012978=59185-IMG_0533.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0533.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

It's composed of MDF board as opposed to solid wood. They are the kitchen or bath cabinets

HiImSean;1012980 wrote: It's composed of MDF board as opposed to solid wood. They are the kitchen or bath cabinets

I'm pretty sure what I have is what your referring to. I purchased it white but painted black to match my DT. I was considering getting another one to use for my son's Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 that I'm going to be setting up.

DO NOT USE MDF.

The second you spill anything it will absorb the water like a sponge and start to fall apart.

Get plywood with veneer on it.

EnderG60;1012990 wrote: DO NOT USE MDF.

The second you spill anything it will absorb the water like a sponge and start to fall apart.

Get plywood with veneer on it.

Exactly what he said. MDF and water are mortal enemies

Allen;1013007 wrote: Wood can also be severely damaged by water.

It is all about how the piece is sealed.

thats the problem though, no one ever seals mdf they just paint it and call it a day.

I've got a workbench top I made from MDF and just applied three liberal coats of sanding sealer on it and I've spilled plenty of crap on it with no ill effects. A good coat of paint will certainly help as well.

Not to mention, those cabinets are cheap, so it's not like you're out a pocket full of money if you do have to replace it.

Picoreefguy;1013008 wrote: thats the problem though, no one ever seals mdf they just paint it and call it a day.

Paint is some sort of sealant though right? I mean, that's why we paint our houses. Not just to look pretty. :)

That said, MDF, yeah... if you keep all the water in the tank you'll be OK :D

tonymission;1013096 wrote: Paint is some sort of sealant though right? I mean, that's why we paint our houses. Not just to look pretty. :)

That said, MDF, yeah... if you keep all the water in the tank you'll be OK :D

If primed properly and painted correctly yes. But other products are better.

Back