Media in reactors?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Wondering what kinds of different media all you guys use with dual chamber reactors? I guess carbon is a given for most but what other one?

What kind of reactor? A dual chamber calcium reactor will have the ARM in one and sand in the other to buffer the PH before the water goes back into the tank. A regular ole media reactor will have carbon or Granular Ferric Oxide (GFO) for removing phosphates. I run both carbon and GFO in my single reactor; carbon on the bottom, then a sponge, then GFO, then another sponge at the top. Works great for clean water. I use 2x the amount of carbon that I do GFO and change them out at the same times, once a month.

cool.....yeah, I bought a dual chamber reactor from BRS but I am currently only running carbon in it. The other chamber is empty. I threw some purigen in there before but the granules are way too small so id rather use a filter bag for the purigen.

I was thinking about using GFO but as of right now it doesnt seem like I need it and since there is a slight risk involved in using it I was wondering if there were other medias I could use to take advantage of the other chamber.

That I don't know.

I'll trade you my single reactor for your dual! lol

What about purigen in the bag, and the bag in the reactor?

Sounds like a good trade as long as you throw in some no way! LOL. Jk

I like that idea of the filter bag in the reactor. Smart! I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

I run gfo in one and carbon in the other. I have 2 of the phosban reactors hooked up in series.

The stuff I have is finer than I would like so the next time I need some I am ordering from bulk reef supply.

Seedless Reefer;317803 wrote: Yes I believe all of the Media should be placed in a reactor...especially MSNBC.

lol....nice.

now back to reality....

what about the various seachem medias? Are any of them good for use in reactors? looking for something other than carbon but not GFO. At least not yet.

Back