Melanurus Wrasse

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
I recently picked up a melanurus wrasse for my 60g. He's only the 3rd fish along with a clarkii clown and a watchman goby. I think they're a very attractive fish and they do pretty good work at taking care of any pests as that come up (from what I've read). I added him to the tank after proper acclimation (no QT for fish) and he made a circle or two and dove into the sandbed. That was Tuesday, May 14th around 1:00 pm and I haven't seen him since. Not even a sign that he's still around.

I've read all kinds of posts saying that this is pretty normal but I wanted to check with my ARC peeps. Any of you keep a melanurus wrasse and have them hide really, really well when they were introduced? Is it possible he's come out, gotten picked on and headed back to the sandbed to die alone? I've been working from home and keep a pretty close eye on the tank. I haven't even seen a dust could to indicate that he's come out and gone back in. When he made the initial dive, it was pretty apparent where he went. I'm not to the point of disturbing the sandbed to see if I can kick him up but I'm getting there.

Look from the bottom side of the tank at the bottom of the Sandbed, you can probably find it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just for anyone looking for information on a melanurus wrasse in the future, I saw him today for the first time. I just happened to be looking in the general area and he shot out from under a rock. If I hadn't been looking in his direction, I would still be under the assumption that he died. It has been a little over 2 weeks since I added him to the tank.

Back